PLAYER BREAKDOWN: MSU transfer commit Frankie Fidler

MSU Head Coach Tom Izzo celebrates with Spartan fans in attendance against Mississippi State on Thursday, Mar. 21, 2024 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, NC. (Photo by Jack Moreland/WDBM Sports/Michigan State University)

EAST LANSING – University of Nebraska Omaha transfer forward Frankie Fidler committed to Michigan State on April 23.

The 6-foot-7-inch, 205-pound forward averaged 20.1 points per game, 6.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists. He shot 45.2% from the field during his junior year with the Mavericks. 

Fidler notably chose MSU over Wisconsin, Nebraska and Creighton. A crafty three-level scorer, he will provide an immediate impact on both ends of the floor. 

The right-handed forward can score from multiple spaces on the floor with his biggest focus coming from his aggressiveness towards the rim. Out of 26% of field goal attempts Fidler attempted this season, he scored at an exceptional 60% when under the rim, per College Basketball Scouting. 

Textbook footwork allows the former Omaha forward to move around defenders inside the post, while also creating for his shot. 

Being only 205 pounds, Fidler commands a very underrated skill at his position. Body control. Utilizing his long wingspan to his advantage, not only scoring under the rim but from behind the arc as well and outside the rim.

Out of 19% of total field goals attempted, Fidler managed to score at 39% from deep when trailing on the fastbreak. A great spot-up shooter, Fidler uses his strong base to get a high release, generating a high shooting arc. 

The 6-foot-7-inch forward not only uses his length in the post to his advantage, but he also thrives when coming off spot-up screens from 15 feet out to generate an open mid-range jumper. 13% of total field goals for Fidler came from the left elbow, as he would succeed at 43% from the mid-range distance. 

In Omahas’ high-low offense, Fidler was successful in finding his cutting teammates, as he would use his dribble and eyes, to find assists at a 16% rate.

Another way the Nebraska native can keep the offense alive and generate shots for his teammates is his rebounding. Fidler averaged just over two offensive rebounds per game, out of his 6.3 total boards per each contest. 

When the ball is in his hands, Fidler can use his dribble to great success despite his size. According to College Basketball Scouting Network, he ranks in the 89th percentile on 1.2 points per possession when becoming a primary ball handler in a pick-and-roll. 

Fidler’s biggest challenge will come on the defensive end, especially among a more competitive conference in the Big Ten. However, he did manage to achieve 0.4 blocks per game while also averaging 1.2 steals per game on the defensive end. 

Fidler’s future is now in the hands of MSU head coach Tom Izzo, as the transfer forward will have a full season to train and become integrated with Spartan basketball. A weight-building training protocol, much like the one freshman forward Xavier Booker used this season, could be coming shortly for the incoming transfer.

With the 2024-25 season schedule not yet finalized, the Spartans will prepare for offseason training and any other potential postseason additions regarding the transfer athletes.