BETWEEN FRIENDS Shines at MSU’s 2024 Spring Concert

On Thursday nights, MSU students typically hit the books or go to local bars for “Thirsty Thursday” deals, but March 28 was a different story altogether.

Hours before the Breslin Center’s doors opened, a queue of eager students had already formed, buzzing with anticipation for Michigan State’s 2024 spring concert. The University Activities Board, Impact 89FM, Associated Students of Michigan State University  and Residence Halls Association hosted and organized the annual spring concert. 

This year’s sold-out event saw over 2,500 attendees come together to enjoy performances from headliner Waka Flocka Flame and opener BETWEEN FRIENDS.

Savannah and Brandon Hudson, the two members of BETWEEN FRIENDS, grew up in an environment where creativity was encouraged. Being surrounded by music and a strong support system, they began releasing their own music in 2017 with their debut track, “suburban wonderland.”

Their journey to stardom traces back to 2013, when they competed on America’s Got Talent. Following America’s Got Talent, they were in a band called The Heirs from 2013 to 2017. Now, as BETWEEN FRIENDS, Savannah and Brandon Hudson bring their infectious energy to stages.

Since the formation of BETWEEN FRIENDS, this sibling duo from Miami has been gaining traction, especially from their five-song EP, we just need some time together, released in 2018. During the pandemic, their song “affection” gained popularity and sparked collaborations with artists like Teezo Touchdown and EDEN on future EPs. 

The concert kicked off at 8 p.m., and the Breslin Center was transformed with excitement and energy. BETWEEN FRIENDS started the concert with tracks from their first and latest album, I Love My Girl, She’s My Boy. Their energy was contagious, immediately making the crowd erupt with dancing. The pair’s upbeat, synthesized sounds had an immediate effect. 

Savannah Hudson’s charismatic interactions with the audience had everyone singing along, making the Breslin center echo back the lyrics she taught the crowd. The bridges of their songs “Bruise” and “Running on Empty” filled the air. 

During their electric performance, BETWEEN FRIENDS performed both old and new tracks. The crowd knew the songs “affection” and “iloveyou” from their first EP. They also sang their fresher releases, such as “What’s up,” “Lotto,” “Smiley” and “Self Destruct.” 

Between songs, Brandon Hudson expressed gratitude to the concert’s organizers, acknowledging the thrill of sharing the stage with Waka Flocka Flame. In a pre-show exclusive interview with Impact 89FM, BETWEEN FRIENDS shared that they have been looking forward to this event for months. They beamed with enthusiasm, saying they have not done a show like this before and have been telling their friends about it. 

Closing their set with their most popular song, “affection,” BETWEEN FRIENDS left the audience buzzing and prepared them for the headliner: Waka Flocka Flame.

Whether students were fans of BETWEEN FRIENDS, Waka Flocka Flame or both, they left the concert with memories to cherish. And as BETWEEN FRIENDS wrapped up, they wasted no time going to the side of the stage, eager to take in Waka Flocka Flame’s energy.

Chasing their adrenaline from performing, BETWEEN FRIENDS watched the headlining set, and Savannah Hudson wore MSU’s spring concert shirt as she sang and danced around with her brother. Following the concert, the siblings took a photo with Waka Flocka Flame and posted it to their social media. 

BETWEEN FRIENDS has only just begun. Their newest EP, GARAGE SALE, will be released April 12. In November, the duo will open for musician Conan Gray in cities such as Amsterdam and Manchester, with venues holding over a 12,000-person capacity.

The 2024 spring concert was intimate and memorable. BETWEEN FRIENDS was personable with the crowd and truly made them feel like the performance was just “between friends.”