“I want to be the best heavyweight MSU has ever had.” Redshirt freshman Josh Terrill is turning heads

MSU+redshirt+freshman+and+Lansing-area+local+Josh+Terrill+leads+the+Spartans+in+wins+with+an+overall+record+of+25-10+heading+into+MSUs+matchup+at+Maryland+on+Sunday%2C+Feb.+11%2C+2024.+
Cole Pannell
MSU redshirt freshman and Lansing-area local Josh Terrill leads the Spartans in wins with an overall record of 25-10 heading into MSU’s matchup at Maryland on Sunday, Feb. 11, 2024.

EAST LANSING – After becoming one of the all-time greats at Holt High School, Josh Terrill had a decision on where to continue not only his academic career but his college wrestling career as well. Terrill decided on Michigan State University as his home, and Roger Chandler as his head coach. Terrill had a full year to prepare and train for competition at the Division 1 level after deciding to redshirt his freshman year.

“I’d say that redshirt year is transferring yourself from your high school self to your college self,” Terrill said. “For me, I think the biggest part and learning curve is the mental aspect of transitioning from the bottom to top competition and having that experience in college.” 

Terrill’s experience and lessons from his redshirt year began showing up this year, where he led the nation in wins. Terrill and his teammates not only compete together but against each other as well, as Terrill credits 197 weight class, Kael Wisler for pushing him just as hard as anyone: 

“Me and Kael (Wisler) have been competing all year for this, who has the most techs, pins, wins, major decisions. That is one of those guys in the room where we compete with each other, and it’s all love between him and me, but that’s one of the biggest contributors to my success, is having someone like Kael to push with and compete with.”

Terrill attributed MSU’s culture as a factor in the team’s overall success. 

MSU redshirt freshman Josh Terrill wrestles an opponent in a Spartan win over Ohio on Saturday, Jan. 6, 2024 at Jenison Field House. (Cole Pannell)

“I feel like our team chemistry is the best in the country,” Terrill said. “That’s a huge part of MSU wrestling. We are all family here. We all compete with each other, we push each other to be better and to go farther. While we are all competing against each other to be better, at the end of the day we want the best for each other.” 

Sitting down with Josh in the Spartan wrestling lounge, there is so much history around the room of all of the greats that came before. Reflecting and pointing to a framed photo of the all-time great Mike McClure, former Spartan and All-American heavyweight; Josh pushes himself to be the best and live up to the greats that have come before him. 

“I say this to a lot of people but I always want to be the best heavyweight MSU has ever had, and that is how it was in high school as well,” said Terrill. “I wanted to be the best wrestler Holt has ever had. I feel like that is a big thing. Mike (McClure) is seen as one of the best MSU has ever had, and one of my big goals is to do better than he did, and that goes back to my competitiveness, and it goes back to my main goal of being one of the best heavyweights MSU has ever had.”

MSU redshirt freshman Josh Terrill celebrates a victory contributing to MSU’s win over Wisconsin on Friday, Jan. 26, 2024 at Jenison Field House. (Avery Kotel)

Terrill currently leads the nation with 25 overall wins. Challenges will continue to arise in the Big Ten, one of the powerhouse wrestling conferences. 

As the competition is consistent and growing, one thing is certain: Terrill will continue to work and become the best he can be. Goals come from dreams, as dreams come from passion, and the passion Josh has is undeniable.

“When people think of the all-time greats at Michigan State, I want them to think of Josh Terrill. I wasn’t highly recruited, I wasn’t nationally ranked, so to make those jumps to be at the top I think would be very impressive not only as a wrestler, but as a person as well.”