No. 12 Michigan State hockey set to take on No. 13 Ohio State

MSU junior forward Red Savage celebrates a goal with teammates in the third period against Lake Superior State on Saturday, October 7, 2023 at Munn Ice Arena.

COLUMBUS, OH – This weekend, No. 12 Michigan State hockey will travel to Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio for its Big Ten opener against the 13th ranked Ohio State Buckeyes. 

Last weekend the Spartans were swept by the No. 1 ranked team in the nation, Boston College. The Spartans lost the first of the series 6-4, and the second game 5-1. 

After scoring two goals in the first game against Boston College, and the lone goal in the second game, sophomore forward Karsen Dorwart will be a key player in this series. Additionally, he has had a point in the last seven games, only being denied a goal or assist in the season opener against Lake Superior State. Sophomore forward Daniel Russell will also be of importance in this game. He is tied with Dorwart for most goals on the season with five. 

For the Buckeyes, 14 of their 21 players have one or more goals this season. Sophomore forward Davis Burnside leads the scoring for the Buckeyes, with three goals thus far, while sophomore forward Stephen Halliday has the most assists this season with six. OSU goalie, junior Logan Terness, comes into the game as the Big Ten  star of the week after aiding Ohio State to tie, 2-2 and win 4-0 in their series with then ranked No. 20 Omaha. 

Michigan State hopes to improve its  5-3 record and start off their Big Ten play undefeated. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3rd and 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4th.