Spartans bounce back with victory over Western Michigan

Catcher+Sam+Thompson+stands+on-deck.+Photo+Credit%3A+Jack+Moreland%2FWDBM+
Jack Moreland
Catcher Sam Thompson stands on-deck. Photo Credit: Jack Moreland/WDBM

EAST LANSING- Michigan State faced off against Western Michigan Wednesday evening at Jackson Field in Lansing, Michigan. The Spartans are 2-0 against Western Michigan this year and looked to improve to 3-0 against the Broncos. The Spartans also sought to end their five-game losing streak.  

The Spartans beat Western Michigan 12-2 in the seventh inning improving their record to 15-19 on the season.  

“I’m proud of our guys and the way they competed today,” Michigan State Baseball head coach Jake Boss said. 

“The pitching was good, and we hit a home run earlier. We relaxed a bit and played the way we are capable of playing”. 

The offense started for the Spartans when leadoff hitter Jack Frank hit a home run to make it an early 1-0 lead for the Spartans at the end of the first inning. 

“My strength is that if I get a fastball, then I need to hit it,” Frank said. “I play to my strengths, and that is one thing I have learned as a fifth year”. 

In the fourth inning, Western Michigan answered back with an RBI double from Greg Budig and scored Dylan Nevar from a leadoff triple to tie the score 1-1. 

The fifth inning is where the Spartans offense took off. Randy Seymour led off the inning with a single, and Frank hit a double right after him.  Dillion Kark then hit a sacrifice fly to score Seymour. At the three spot in the lineup, Nick Williams hit a single to score Frank, making it 3-1. 

A couple of batters later Greg Ziegler doubled while advancing N. Williams to third. Christian Williams then hit an RBI single scoring Ziegler and N. Williams. Two batters later Sam Thompson singled, scoring C. Williams, making it 7-0 after the fifth inning.  

In the sixth inning, Western Michigan’s Budig led off the inning with a double. Three batters later, Grady Mee drove him home with an RBI single, making it 7-2 after the sixth inning.  

In the bottom half of the sixth inning, Frank hit another lead-off home run, making it 8-2. Later in that inning, Ziegler singled, scoring Kark. A batter later, C. Williams, doubled, scoring Ziegler, making it 10-2. Headlining the offense was Frank, who went 3 for 5 with two home runs and two RBI.

“We gotta get back to work tomorrow at practice and let the good vibe of today carry into this weekend,” Frank said. “If we play our game and show up, we can do good things”. 

The Spartans host a three-game series against Penn State this weekend. Game one starts on Friday, April 19, at McLane Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. The first pitch is at 8:05 p.m.