Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Spartans take action with a sit-down protest at the Michigan Capitol

On Thursday, Feb. 15, exactly one year after the first sit-down at the Capitol following the shooting on Feb. 13, 2023, the MSU chapter of Students Demand Action and Sit Down MSU hosted a second peaceful sit-down protest. MSU students, community members and a few lawmakers attended the portion of the event held outside on the Capitol steps in the cold wind and snow. The event was to convey to Michigan legislators how the shooting is still impacting people and that they would like more action to be taken on gun violence. Another focus was to remember the three lives lost a year ago: Brian Fraser, Alexandria Verner and Arielle Anderson. During this time, students stood on the Capitol steps while speakers from various MSU organizations and positions gave speeches. After the planned speeches, the podium was opened to other students who wanted to share their thoughts. Rep. Emily Dievendorf, D-Lansing, and Michigan Senate Majority Leader Winnie Brinks, D-Grand Rapids, both attended the sit-down.

Following the outdoor part of the event, any attendees were free to enter the Capitol building for a discussion with Michigan legislators, including Dievendorf, Brinks, Senator Sam Singh, D-East Lansing, and Rep. Penelope Tsernoglou, D-East Lansing. In the conference room, the legislators welcomed and answered any questions or heard stories students had to share.