Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Michigan State hockey prepares to host rival Michigan in Big Ten Championship

MSU senior defender Nash Nienhuis (middle) celebrates a goal with sophomore forward Tiernan Shoudy (13) during a 2-1 victory over Ohio State in the B1G Tournament semifinal on Saturday, Mar. 16, 2024 at Munn Ice Arena in East Lansing. (Photo by Avery Kotel)

EAST LANSING- The No. 4 Michigan State hockey team will face off against No. 11 Michigan on Saturday night at Munn Ice Arena for the Big Ten Championship.

The Spartans defeated Ohio State 2-1 in the semifinal game to advance to their first Big Ten Tournament title game in program history. Sophomore forward Daniel Russell and senior defenseman Nash Nienhaus each recorded goals in the win.

The Wolverines defeated No. 6 Minnesota 2-1 to advance to the final. Sophomore forwards Gavin Brindley and Kienan Draper led Michigan with a goal.

MSU is 3-1 against Michigan this season and has won their last three games against the Wolverines after dropping the first matchup 7-1 at Munn Ice Arena on Jan 19. 

In their last series against the Wolverines, MSU defeated Michigan 5-1 in Ann Arbor and 3-2 in the annual “Duel in the D” matchup at Little Caesars Arena. Sophomore forward Karsen Dorwart and junior forward Tanner Kelly were impressive in the series.

Dorwart and Kelly will be players to watch in the title game along with freshman forward Gavin O’Connell and freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov.  

For the Wolverines, players to watch include sophomore forwards TJ Hughes and Rutger McGroarty, and junior forward Dylan Duke. Duke has scored four goals this season in games against the Spartans, while Hughes and McGroarty have scored three. 

The power play will be a key factor in which team is successful in this heavyweight matchup. The Spartans and the Wolverines are both at the top of the Big Ten in power play percentage, with Michigan in first and MSU in second. 

The Spartans and the Wolverines are both the best in the Big Ten in shorthanded goals, with the Spartans having seven and the Wolverines having six.

MSU will look to secure its first Big Ten Tournament title in program history. Puck drop is set for 8 p.m. at Munn Ice Arena.