Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

The Melody of Androgyny | “Over Again” by Sir Chloe

My first time experiencing Sir Chloe was in 2021 at Lollapalooza, which my mom had dragged my brother and I to so we would see Foo Fighters with her. I had actually missed Sir Chloe’s main performance because my mom and brother didn’t want to wake up early. I arrived at the festival upset that I had missed them since, after googling all of the artists that would be playing, I had tried force-feeding myself Sir Chloe’s entire discography the night before.

While trying to find the bathroom before mxmtoon’s performance, we stumbled across a small hidden stage that was not on the schedule. It had a sign naming the upcoming artists, one of which was Sir Chloe. I was so close to the stage; the sound of bass blasted into my eardrums. It was meant to be that I saw Sir Chloe that day, and I have been attached to the indie-rock band ever since.

Sir Chloe performing at Lollapalooza in 2021. Photo by Dakota Hendren.

Vocalist, guitarist and songwriter Dana Foote started the band in 2017 as a senior in college. For her music composition senior thesis, Foote opted to form the band with her brother and friends to host a concert of all original music. Their song “Michelle” went viral on TikTok, causing them to gain popularity before the release of their debut album, Party Favors, in 2020. Since then, they have released more singles, along with their sophomore album, I Am The Dog.

On March 8, Sir Chloe released “Over Again,” the third and final single that didn’t make it on I Am The Dog, which came out last year. This song sits at two minutes and 42 seconds and speaks on a relationship that exists only “for the fun of it,” and not out of love.

The song starts off calm and picks up at around 36 seconds. “Over Again” is more chill compared to other beats in their discography but is a nice short song to vibe to, especially if you aren’t into rock. Maybe it is just because of my Lollapalooza experience, but Sir Chloe is very summer. I will be vibing to this single and the rest of their music all summer long, my Subaru moonroof open with the wind and sun flowing in.

​​Over, over, again /

Only for the fun of it /

Ask you before I forget /

Are you buying into it? /

I just wanna be your man /

Are you buying into it?

The line “I just want to be your man” relates to Sir Chloe’s relationship with gender. The Chloe part of the band name is from Foote almost being named Chloe by her mother. Sir was added to the front to make it more androgynous, as Foote has explained that she feels her gender expression is on more of a spectrum.

“Over Again” released just two days before the start of “The Savory Tour.” The tour started March 10 in Toronto, but the second stop was here in Michigan, hosted at El Club in Detroit. A ton of the shows on the tour were sold out, including Detroit, but I was lucky enough to get tickets.

Sir Chloe performing at El Club on March 11, 2024. Photo by Dakota Hendren.

El Club, although completely packed, was the perfect environment to see Sir Chloe. Seeing them in this venue was a much different experience than the tiny stage at Lollapalooza. The colorful lights, along with hearing this song live, added to the experience. I look forward to seeing what else Sir Chloe has to offer.