Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

PREVIEW: Michigan State softball set for big test against No. 24 Boston University

Former MSU softball player and current assistant coach Riley Paxson/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

COLUMBIA – On Sunday, March 17, Michigan State softball will play their final game of the Garnet & Black invitational against No. 24 Boston University. 

The Spartans are currently 1-2 in the invitation, beating Minnesota 5-4 but losing to No.22/23 South Carolina 0-8 and North Carolina State, 1-3. It is the second time this season that the Spartans will face off against the Terriers. The first matchup was on Feb. 23 at the Duke invitational, where the Terriers beat the Spartans 9-1, in five innings. 

In the last meeting between the two teams, it was freshman Jaeya Butler who got the lone run on the board in the first inning. Butler, who holds a .371 batting average, leads the team respectivley. Sophomore Britain Beshears will be a key player to watch in the matchup, as she leads the Spartans in with home runs this season, having ten so far. 

For Boston University, a key player to watch is graduate student Allison Boaz, the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) pitcher of the year in 2023. In her last meeting with Michigan State, she only allowed three hits the entire game, and had an impressive six strikeouts. On the offensive side, keep an eye on senior Kayla Roncin, who leads the team with 35 hits and 20 runs so far this season. 

The 12-12 Spartans are looking to close out the invitational on a high note by getting an upset win over the 19-3 Terriers. Sunday’s matchup against No. 24 Boston University will begin at 10 a.m. ET.