Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

MSU hockey head coach Adam Nightingale agrees to contract extension

MSU hockey head coach Adam Nightengale/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

EAST LANSING – Michigan State Vice President and Director of Athletics Alan Haller announced Thursday that MSU hockey head coach Adam Nightingale signed a new five-year contract.

The contract includes a base salary worth $600,000 and a $100,000 supplemental compensation in the first year of the contract, which increases by $25,000 per season. 

“In less than two years, Adam Nightingale has sparked a resurgence throughout the Spartan hockey program,” Haller said in a statement “Obviously everyone will point to our first-ever Big Ten regular season championship, but that’s only part of the success story.”

“Spartan hockey has a proud history of excellence, and we are currently witnessing the latest chapter of success. A couple months ago Adam and I started having conversations surrounding him and his staff and how best to continue the resurgence of the program. With the new contract, we’re taking steps to ensure stability and the opportunity for success for many years to come.”  

Under Nightingale, Michigan State hockey has seen success both on and off the ice. This season Nightingale led the Spartans to their first-ever Big Ten regular season championship with a 16-6-2 conference record and earned the No. 1 seed in the Big Ten Tournament.

In the classroom, the Spartans performance has been just as impressive. The team posted a 3.3873 cumulative GPA and a 3.4277 fall semester GPA, which were program records in both categories.

“Being the head coach of the Spartan hockey program continues to be a great honor, one I do not take lightly,” said Nightingale. “Our staff and players are thankful for the support we receive from the University, community, and alumni. The opportunity to represent them is a humbling experience.”