Today’s weather forecast is predicting a few clouds early, otherwise mostly sunny with a high of 49 degrees and a low of 33 degrees.

MSU President Guskiewicz says investigation’s findings into board misconduct are ‘concerning,’ but he is assured moving forward

Kevin Guskiewicz, who began his tenure as Michigan State University’s 22nd president Monday, outlined his goals for MSU and addressed the findings of the Miller & Chevalier report regarding the Board of Trustees in a campus-wide email sent out Monday morning.

Over spring break, an external investigation found that then board chair Rema Vassar and trustee Dennis Denno violated board policies by encouraging students to embarrass Interim President Teresa Woodruff and intervening in investigations, among other violations.

The report recommended Vassar and Denno be referred to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for corrective action under a law in the state constitution that gives the governor the right to remove members of boards of state universities from office.

Hours before a special board meeting Sunday night, Vassar resigned as board chair. Both Vassar and Denno were stripped of their duties on the board and referred to the governor, and trustee Brianna Scott was censured.

Regarding the findings of the investigation, Guskiewicz referred to Vassar and Denno’s actions as “concerning,” but maintained that the board will be committed to a healthy, functional relationship with himself.

As president, Guskiewicz aims “to build on MSU’s celebrated history as a proud land-grant university that is embracing an aspiration to be bold and contemporary in preparing the next generation of leaders.” This involves building a culture of collaboration at MSU, he said.

MSU Wharton Center announces 2024-2025 Broadway Series

Michigan State University’s Wharton Center announced its selections for the upcoming 2024-2025 Broadway Series. The lineup will feature the Michigan debut of “Shucked” and “Life of Pi” and the Wharton Center premiere of “MJ.”

The Broadway Series at the Wharton Center has been an experience unique to MSU that brings touring Broadway shows into the view of college students.

The series kicks off with “Les Misérables” from October 8-13. The musical, set in France during the nineteenth century, highlights themes of revolution, sacrifice and human triumph.

From January 21-26, “Shucked,” performing for the first time in Michigan at the Wharton Center, is a 2022 musical comedy directed by Jack O’Brien.

The production features a humorous plot revolving around the fictional town of Cob County and the lengths its residents will go to for their beloved corn.

Next, “MJ” will run from next February 11-16. This is a 2022 jukebox musical created by Christopher Wheeldon and Lynn Nottage. Set during the 1992 Dangerous World Tour, the production aims to show the life of Michael Jackson outside of his pop icon persona.

Moving into next spring, also performing for the first time in Michigan at the Wharton Center is “Life of Pi” from March 11-16. The production follows the journey of a boy named Pi as he’s stranded on a lifeboat with a tiger, a hyena, a zebra and an orangutan.

Finally, rounding out the series is Broadway’s longest-running musical, “Chicago” from April 8-13. Set in the roaring ’20s, the musical explores the era through the experience of killer turned media sensation, fictional character Roxie Hart.

More information on ticket sales and specific showtimes can be found at the Wharton Center website.

Based on original reporting by Emilio Perez Ibarguen and Liam Clymer.