PREVIEW: Michigan State looks to clinch B1G regular season title with sweep over Ohio State

MSU fifth-year forward Nicholas Müller was the lone goal scorer for the Spartans against Michigan on Friday, Jan. 19, 2024 at Munn Ice Arena.

EAST LANSING – After a week of rest, the Michigan State hockey team will return to the ice this weekend as they welcome the Ohio State Buckeyes to Munn Ice Arena for their final home series of the season.

The Spartans enter the series ranked No. 4 in the USCHO poll, their highest ranking since 2007. MSU enters the series first in the Big Ten, leading with 46 points and a 14-4-2 conference record. 

The Spartans can clinch the Big Ten regular-season title and the No. 1 seed in the Big Ten Tournament this weekend with a sweep against the Buckeyes and a Wisconsin loss to Penn State.

MSU dominated the November road series against the Buckeyes, outscoring Ohio State 12-4 in the sweep. Freshman forward Gavin O’Connell shined for MSU, recording four goals in the series.

O’Connell will be a player to watch for the Spartans, along with junior forward Tanner Kelly, and sophomore forward Karsen Dorwart, who had impressive performances in the previous series against the Wolverines.

Ohio State is coming off a series sweep against No. 6 Wisconsin, winning the first matchup 3-2 in overtime and the second matchup 3-1. Sophomore forward Davis Burnside scored two goals in the series.

Players to watch for the Buckeyes include sophomore forward Stephen Halliday and fifth-year senior defenseman Scooter Brickey, the leading goal scorers for Ohio State with nine each on the season.

The Spartans will open up the series against the Buckeyes on Friday night. Puck drop from Munn Ice Arena is set for 7 p.m.