The Sci-Files – 2/11/2024 – Natasha George – A “Cool” Approach to Unraveling Antibiotic Resistance

On this week’s episode of The Sci-Files, your hosts Mari and Dimitri interview Natasha George.

When you get a scrape or cut, you might reach for a tube of Neosporin, but have you ever wondered what exactly this antimicrobial ointment does to bacteria, or how bacteria might avoid being killed? Bacteria possess a dizzying variety of specialized protein machinery that help them resist our medicines, complicating treatment of infection. Natasha, a graduate student in the department of microbiology and molecular genetics, studies these antibiotic resistance machines with the help of cryo-electron microscopy, a technique that uses high-powered microscopes and frozen samples to capture snapshots of protein molecules in action and build 3D models that reveal their intricate structures. This visual approach can help us make sense of microbial behavior, understand why certain antibiotics are not effective on some types of bacteria, and hopefully help us develop more effective medications to treat infections.

If you’re interested in discussing your MSU research on the radio or nominating a student, please email Mari and Dimitri at [email protected]. Check The Sci-Files out on Twitter and Instagram!