Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Playlist | The Earth Is Burning, But at Least It’s 50 Degrees Out

unknown
“Castle Rock wildfire” by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service licensed under CC BY 2.0

Day after day, whether we want to ignore it or not, we hear of natural disasters and record-breaking temperatures. Celebrities and corporations alike emit the same carbon emissions that are released far too quickly for our atmosphere to handle. It is not so often in the history of the Earth that we get to exist at the same time as the inevitable destruction of our planet and be so intensely aware of it. We each carry pain for the loss, whenever it will be, of our shared home. This pain is the price of being conscious in a suffering world. Yet, when we realize how deeply interdependent we are as a global species, it makes complete sense that something as simple as the sun making an appearance in East Lansing could make so many think, “It’s a good day.”

The sun’s warm rays greet us with a polite hello accompanied by blue skies filled with scattered clouds, and it is as if nothing can touch us. People walk along campus, but their frames aren’t constrained by thick, heavy coats. We can all finally be open to the possibility that maybe it’s not all that bad. So, the next time you’re lucky enough to sit outside without freezing or maybe when you’re just longing for those warmer days to become more frequent, sit back and enjoy these tunes while the world burns.