Dreamy Rollercoaster of Emotion | “OMG!” by Suki Waterhouse

English triple threat Suki Waterhouse has been the talk of social media the past few months, attributable to her pregnancy with partner Robert Pattinson. On Jan. 3, when Waterhouse posted a video on social media cracking an egg with a note inside that read “OMG! Out Jan 11,” she was not revealing the due date of their first baby but announcing a new single. “OMG” marks the first song off her forthcoming sophomore album and her first release of 2024.

Funky bass, ‘90s-inspired guitar and strong drums work with Waterhouse’s dreamy vocals to create this catchy pop rock song. Throughout “OMG,” Waterhouse reminisces on a past lover and the effects they had on her. Her voice and lyrics create a heavily emotional but fun song for the listener to sing along to.

The song starts off relatively calm with mellow instrumentals and vocals, almost like Waterhouse is sulking about the relationship and what it has done to her. This changes immensely from sadness to anger when the first chorus hits. The transition is fun and doesn’t feel too harsh. This post-breakup song shows the roller coaster of emotions caused by relationships, rather than just focusing on one.

“Oh my God /

Take me back the way that I was /

Oh my God /

You know I only tried to play your games /

So you cannot forget my name

You and I are not the same /

You always had it easy.”

This release is paired with a magical music video directed by Émilie Richard-Froozan. The video features Waterhouse in a greenhouse, looking back on how she was before the relationship. This is shown through the use of black and white vs. color. The visuals give an Old Hollywood feel, with hints of Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland

“OMG” and its music video are very engaging to listen to and watch. Waterhouse has started the year off strong, but this is only the beginning. She is set to perform at Coachella in April, around the same time her baby is due. I am excited to see what Waterhouse has brewing with her upcoming album, which should be available to fans later this year.