2024 NFL Draft Full Team Grades: Teams 17-32
Jack David, NFL Beat Reporter • April 28, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting considerable clouds early and some decrease in clouds later in the day with a high of 39 degrees and a low of 31 degrees.

Construction on MSU campus results in bus detours, difficulties in transportation

Many students use Capital Area Transportation Authority, or CATA, buses when traveling to class, but this semester, some students have found navigating the new bus routes to be a bumpy ride. Road work on Farm Lane has affected nine CATA bus routes since December, according to Infrastructure Planning and Facilities Communications Manager Erica Venton.

Farm Lane Bridge is open to pedestrians but not vehicles, Venton said, and it will continue to be closed to vehicles until June.

CATA’s Chief Marketing & Public Information Officer Lolo Robison said CATA worked with the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety to create detours due to the road work.

CATA has 105 active fixed-route buses, with routes running as frequently as nine to 10 minutes during weekday service, according to Robison.

Robison confirmed that the Transit app does not display detoured routing.

Robison advises Transit riders to plan for the worst-case scenario by taking earlier trips at “non-peak times.” Bus riders can create an account to subscribe to Rider Alerts, which will automatically send email or text alerts of detours.

Reimbursements for mental health services used in wake of MSU mass shooting now available

Michigan State University announced last Thursday that students, staff, faculty and first responders can now apply for reimbursements for mental health services used in the wake of the Feb. 13, 2023 mass shooting.

The funds come from the Spartan Strong Fund. On June 9, 2023 MSU announced that the proceeds would be used to reimburse or directly pay for first responder and mental health care services for students, faculty and staff.

The June press release said additional information would be shared “soon” about how to seek reimbursement costs relating to mental health services.

Qualifying out-of-pocket expenses include deductibles, co-pays, or co-insurance relating to out-patient counseling and mental health care services, including tele-health, in-patient hospitalization with a mental health diagnosis and residential mental health treatment.

Students, faculty, staff and first responders can visit the UHW Spartan Strong Fund webpage to apply.

Reimbursements are available for both individuals with insurance and without it. Applicants with insurance must submit an electronic version of an invoice or Explanation of Benefits and proof of payment. Individuals without insurance must submit an electronic version of an invoice from their healthcare provider and proof of payment.

According to the webpage, reimbursements, in full or in part, will be subject to the availability of funds. MSU is encouraging individuals to submit their reimbursement requests as soon as possible.

Mash becomes East Lansing’s newest nightlife location

Mash, the newest bar to hit the East Lansing bar scene, had its grand opening last Thursday night.

The bar is the brother/sister establishment to Jolly Pumpkin and sits next door to the restaurant. Mash is a bourbon, whiskey and beer bar, including specialty craft beer. The establishment offers liquors, wine and will be also serving food made by Jolly Pumpkin.

Mash offered a LineLeap VIP/no cover card to the first 50 people in line to use for the rest of the semester at the event. Some MSU students stood outside waiting in line for over two hours in hopes of getting their VIP pass.

Mash is the only bar in East Lansing that is currently offering live music. Live music is offered every Friday but still has live DJs on Thursdays and Saturdays. Bands and musicians can sign up to play on their website.

Mash has two other locations, including Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. Mash is open Wednesday through Sunday and opens at 5 p.m. at 212 Albert Street.

Based on original reporting by Willow Symonds, Owen McCarthy and Anna Rossow.