Today’s weather forecast is predicting periods of rain with areas of patchy fog with a high of 38 degrees and a low of 35 degrees.

MSU Starbucks ‘Campus Collection’ mugs are in high demand

Starbucks is selling an increasingly popular Michigan State University-themed coffee mug at campus locations and most stores close to East Lansing. The mug, complete with MSU’s most recognizable buildings and landmarks, is in high demand, according to Starbucks Barista Kelsey Pink.

“We got four mugs the first time and they sold out right away,” Pink said. “We’ve been asked about them every week. People know Friday is the chance we’ll get them, so we get calls on Thursday night. We’ve been getting it for weeks.”

The Grand River Ave. Starbucks where Pink works isn’t the only location to witness this level of popularity.

The mug marks MSU joining The Pennsylvania State University, University of Notre Dame and other universities featured in Starbucks’ Campus Collection “Been There” series.

Pink, who “scooped up” the mug, also works as a fiscal officer for the College of Communication, Arts and Sciences. She frequently receives comments about it and believes it will continue to be a highly sought-after piece, especially in the Spartan community.

MSU issued nearly 100,000 parking tickets in 2023

MSU’s Department of Police and Public safety– or MSUDPS–issued 97,585 parking citations in 2023.

The MSU Board of Trustees approved to raise parking violation fines early last summer. However, this did not deter students from committing violations.

MSU Department of Police and Public Safety spokesperson Dana Whyte said that when looking at the high number of violations, it must be taken into account the size of MSU’s student body and faculty, which consists of more than 50,000 students and more than 12,000 faculty.

Whyte said the most common violations are in metered spots, where people either choose not to pay or their payments expire.

She said the best way to prevent this kind of violation is to download the Spot On app so that you can pay for meters on your phone rather than at the meter itself.

To cut down on violations in 2024, Whyte said the department is focusing on awareness and education. She said they want to enact plans to educate students and faculty about what specific violations are and how to avoid them as well as resources they can reach out to if they have questions.

When it comes to where all the money from these citations goes, Whyte said that it is used towards safety updates and repairs on campus, including lot repairs and signage replacement repairs. The money also goes towards public safety efforts such as installing more GreenLight emergency phones on campus.

MSU students evaluate their progress on 2024 resolutions

A common mindset for the New Year is thinking of it as a time for reinvention, self-improvement and setting new standards to hold yourself to for the next 365 days. Many Michigan State University students, however, may be taking a more easy-going, self-care-focused approach to 2024 to help them stick to their goals in the long run.

For anthropology sophomore Elizabeth Longcore, the best resolutions are the ones that come to you when the time is right. Longcore’s goal for the year is to be a more active and vocal participant in her classes, which stemmed from having three discussion-based courses during the spring semester.

Though she doesn’t typically set New Year’s resolutions, Longcore said, the circumstances in her life this year provided the space and motivation she needed to set a goal. She said she feels it’s important to have other changes happening in your life that coincide with goals of personal growth, like starting a new semester.

As we’re still in January, reflect on your New Year resolutions. It’s not too late to add or make changes to your goals to make for a better year ahead.

Based on original reporting by Stella Govitz, Hannah Holycross and Kendra Gilchrist.