Three takeaways from Michigan State’s win over Northwestern

MSU+graduate+forward+Tory+Ozment+lays+the+ball+up+against+Northwestern+on+Wednesday%2C+Jan.+17%2C+2024+at+the+Breslin+Center.+
MSU graduate forward Tory Ozment lays the ball up against Northwestern on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING – Michigan State started strong and never looked back, defeating Northwestern 91-72. The Spartans shared the wealth on offense with 26 assists. Six Spartans finished the game in double-figures, led by co-captain Julia Ayrault who had 16 points. Wednesday night was the biggest margin of victory for the Spartans in B1G play.

MSU graduate guard Julia Ayrault makes a free throw against Northwestern on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 at the Breslin Center. (Jack Moreland)

MSU was focused for 40 minutes

This easily could have been a let down game for the Spartans. Northwestern is near the bottom of the B1G standings.  But when MSU plays an inferior opponent this season they take control early and they don’t take their foot off the gas. 

Michigan State head coach Robyn Fralick made sure the Spartans were focused against the Wildcats.

“You have to dominate the details, you have to be dialed in and you have to be an every possession team,” said Fralick. 

The Spartans need to bring this energy every game

During a long foul review late in the first half the court turned into a dance floor for the Spartans. Guard DeeDee Hagemann and forward Joceyln Tate were pumping up the crowd and showing off their best moves during the timeout. 

“At Ohio State when we lost we didn’t have any energy and fuel,” said Hagemann. “So coming into the next game we made sure we had energy. And when we have energy that’s when we play our best.”

When this team is loose and playing with high energy they have potential to be one of the best teams in the B1G.

MSU sophomore guard Theryn Hallock fires a three-pointer against Northwestern on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 at the Breslin Center. (Jack Moreland)

Michigan State is hard to stop when the ball is moving

The Spartans had 26 assists on Wednesday, which is their most in B1G play. The good ball movement also led to open three-pointers that MSU converted on, making 13 of 31. 

“We’re built to move it and share it. We create a lot of offense  through ball movement, we create a lot of offense through player movement and we got an unselfish team, it’s like passing is cool,” said Fralick.

MSU will go on the road to take on Minnesota (13-4, 3-3) Jan. 20 at 3 p.m.