Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Welcome to the last episode of The State for the fall 2023 semester!

Today’s weather forecast is predicting rain showers with some sunshine later in the day with a high of 55 degrees and a low of 34 degrees. For the rest of the weekend, it looks like it will be cloudy with temps in the higher 30s.

MSU coach Jonathan Smith adds 11 new coaches to football staff

Since being hired as the new head coach of Michigan State football, Jonathan Smith has announced the crew he’s gathered to join him in East Lansing, according to an MSU Athletics press release.

Smith said these 11 new coaches are “an experienced staff with a proven track record,” according to the press release.

The coaches now await players in the transfer portal and an upcoming season to turn the program around.

The Roost to reopen at International Center in early January

The Roost, which was the most popular restaurant in the MSU Union food court prior to its closing in February 2023, will be moving to the International Center and opening in early January 2024.

Although the Union, which was one of the sites of the February campus mass shooting, reopened on April 3, the Union food court will remain closed through the end of the 2023-2024 academic year, as university administrators hope to remodel the space in which the violence occurred before reopening it to students.

The Roost will occupy a space in the International Center that has been empty for a few years.

Harmful Language Remediation Working Group looks to eliminate harmful language in MSU, national library catalogs

The meaning of language and vocabulary is vastly changing, as diction that was accepted a century ago is no longer socially tolerable in today’s standards. This old language, though posing offensive and hurtful meanings to certain groups, still floats around public catalogs in libraries around the nation.

The Harmful Language Remediation Working Group here at MSU, or the HLRWG, has been tasked with fixing this problem. Its goal is to eradicate harmful language within public catalogs, not just here at Michigan State, but all over the country.

MSU Libraries Associate Dean of Diversity, Inclusion and Organizational Development and HLRWG advisor Alexandra Rivera said it’s important to update these catalog systems in order to avoid characterization and to create a safe space for accessing information.

The effort to eradicate harmful language isn’t just a local effort, but it’s one of national concern. Rivera said that Universities like Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Virginia, UC Boulder and others are seeking to address these issues. She also said the Library of Congress has a department that works on these classification systems to update them.

Rivera hopes that the HLRWG and other groups can eliminate all problematic languages within library catalogs for the betterment of the community, and encourages students to take initiative and voice their concerns.

Based on original reporting by Madilynn Warden, Owen McCarthy and Kaspar Haehnle.

To end our last episode of the semester, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Today

• Women’s Basketball will play Nebraska at 2 P.M.
  • Hockey will play Notre Dame at 6 P.M.

For our last announcement, I just want to thank everyone who has listened throughout this entire semester. It’s been a busy one but it truly excites me so much to produce this podcast every day and I’m so excited to get back to it next year!