Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 47 degrees and a low of 36 degrees.

Nine MSU football players earn All-Big Ten Recognition

Nine Spartans received recognition from the Big Ten conference for their performance during the 2023 MSU football season.

Redshirt freshman punter Ryan Eckley was named to All-Big Ten Second Team by Big Ten coaches and conference media.

The punter ranked second in the Big Ten Conference and seventh in the entire FBS. His punting average of 46.8-yards is the fifth-longest average in Michigan State single-season history. Eckley ended the season strong with a season-high six punts for 50-plus yards and had a 63-yard punt in the regular-season finale against Penn State.

Redshirt senior kicker Jonathan Kim also earned a special teams honorable mention from both coaches and the media. He is ranked ninth in Big Ten with 13 field goals. Earlier in the season, Kim kicked the longest field goal of 58-yards in the Big Ten and second longest in FBS against Iowa.

On the offensive side of the ball, redshirt sophomore running back Nathan Carter, redshirt senior offensive guard J.D. Duplain and redshirt senior center Nick Samac also received honorable mentions from both coaches and the media for their performances. Duplain and Samac both earned recognition multiple times in their careers.

MSU men’s basketball suffers loss to No. 23 Wisconsin after another slow start

The Michigan State men’s basketball team fell to Wisconsin 70-57 after yet another slow start for the green and white Tuesday night.

The Badgers came to town to open up the Spartan’s Big Ten campaign in front of a packed Izzone decked out in holiday gear.

Head coach Tom Izzo made another change to his starting five in this matchup to accommodate graduate student forward Malik Hall. Izzo said in his press conference earlier in the week that Hall was battling the flu, but the veteran player was still able to be an asset off the bench. Rather than starting another forward like Hall, Izzo started two centers, sophomore Carson Cooper and senior Mady Sissoko.

Senior guard A.J. Hoggard also made his way back into the starting five this week alongside fellow guards junior Jaden Akins and graduate student Tyson Walker.

Much like many of the previous games this season, Michigan State started off painfully slow. In six minutes, the Spartans put up eight shots, but only one fell.

Michigan State started off the second half stronger than the first, logging a defensive stop, a layup from Hoggard through traffic and a contested jumper from Walker.

Midway through the second half, the Spartans slowed down, and gave Wisconsin yet another chance to build its lead.

Ultimately, the dominating Badger play at the boards that lead to them out rebounding the Spartans 36-22 gave Wisconsin the chance at 19-second chance points in comparison to Michigan State’s eight.

Michigan State will go on the road this weekend against Nebraska on Dec. 10 at 6:30 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network.

Finals week stress: MSU students and expert share studying tips

Finals week is traditionally one of the most stressful times of the year for college students. Lack of time management and sleep from all-nighters spent studying result in unhealthy study habits that only increase stress levels.

Biochemistry and molecular biology sophomore Meghan McGill said having a study plan in place helps ease her worries during the last few weeks of the semester.

McGill starts preparing at least two weeks before her exams, organizing her tasks in an Excel spreadsheet and breaking down the workload into more manageable chunks.

Students can also motivate themselves to study by implementing small rewards, such as a break or treat after completing a task, she said.

It’s important to also give yourself time for mental health, step away for a bit and refresh your mind. That can help you create balance going into the finals week.

Based on original reporting by Jania Clowers, Bella Johnson and Lauren Coin.