Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies with a high of 38 degrees and a low of 32 degrees.

Active violence training now available ‘strongly recommended’ for MSU community

Active Violence Incident awareness training is now available for Michigan State University students, faculty and staff.

Communications Manager for MSU Department of Police and Public Safety Dana Whyte said the training is optional, but “strongly recommended.” An email sent to students said community members can complete it at their own time, due to its sensitive nature.

The training is virtual, but in-person training can be requested through the MSU DPPS website.

The training includes a presentation explaining how to respond during an active violence situation, and occasional question checkpoints to check participants’ understanding.

The video details run-hide-fight and avoid-barricade-confront protocols. It was filmed on MSU’s campus “so it will be familiar to students when they watch it,” Whyte said.

When the training was first announced, weeks after the shooting, it was mandatory. Since then, training became optional after MSU DPPS received feedback from the community concerned with the emotional impact the training could have on traumatized individuals.

Musical artists, experts discuss hip-hop and Black culture at MSU School of Journalism event

Last Wednesday, the Michigan State University School of Journalism held “Uplifting Voices, Empowering Communities,” an event discussing the prominence of hip-hop and Black culture for the 50th anniversary of hip-hop. The event took place in the Communication Arts and Science building’s WKAR studio and was hosted by journalism Assistant Professor Dr. Christina L. Myers.

The event also featured many prominent musical guest speakers, including spoken word artist Mama Sol, who worked with the Detroit Pistons on their 2021 “We Hustle Different” campaign, MSU Professor and the Inaugural Chairperson of the Department of African American and African Studies Dr. Ruth Nicole Brown, rapper and songwriter James Gardin, and hip-hop and soul musician Mikeyy Austin.

Myers, who teaches Journalism 108: The World of Media at MSU, works to show her students how to engage with music in all forms.

The studio was packed with students in attendance who listened to the speakers tell their stories of what hip-hop means to them.

The event was also live-streamed, garnering 91 viewers online. Myers said she was pleased by the turnout.

5 MSU hockey players invited to selection caps for World Junior Championships

As the Spartans head into early December, just about halfway through the season, the announcement of preliminary selection camps were announced for the IIHF World Juniors Championships.

There were five Spartans selected to head to the camp for their respective countries.

The selection camp will be held for the U.S. team on Dec 14-16 in Ann Arbor, MI, where the players will compete for their spots on the team rosters for the 2024 tournament in Sweden from Dec. 26-Jan. 4 at two split arenas.

Based on original reporting by Theo Scheer, Luke Joseph and Madilynn Warden.