Today’s weather forecast is predicting mostly cloudy skies with a high of 38 degrees and a low of 29 degrees.

Deadline to request Credit-No Credit extended until Dec. 8

Michigan State University students now have until this Friday, to request a “Credit-No Credit” grade for courses that do not fulfill major or general education requirements for this semester. This was formally announced on the university’s advising page, last updated Nov. 17.

The Credit-No Credit, or CR-NC, policy has been established within MSU for years. The policy allows students to be able to take classes outside their field of study without it affecting their Grade Point Average, or GPA.

To gain credit, undergraduate students must earn a GPA above 2.0, while graduate students must earn a GPA above 3.0. A “no credit” grade is awarded when undergraduate and graduate students score below a 2.0 and 3.0, respectively.

If a student opts in for CR-NC, the Office of the Registrar records it, and CR or NC will be placed in the student’s transcript. To be granted the option of CR-NC, students must request and communicate it with the Registrar.

After it is requested and approved, students may not change their decision to opt for CR-NC grading. Students cannot have more than 20 “CR” grades within the system. However, limitations on how many credits a student can take on the basis of CR-NC will generally be determined by the college.

Dozens of dollars in donuts will be donated to Lansing nonprofits

At Lansing nonprofit KCS Angels’ special events, sweet treats from Groovy Donuts are often the fuel of choice. But in Groovy Donuts inaugural Day of Giving event, the local donut shop gave the adult disability organization and four other Lansing-based nonprofits more than baked goods.

Last Thursday, 100% of donut sales were donated to the five organizations.

KCS Angels is a nonprofit organization created by individuals with disabilities to support other Lansing community members with disabilities. The organization’s partnership with Groovy Donuts dates back to 2017 when co-founder Andrew Gauthier invited members of KCS Angels to help with a fundraiser at the shop’s Williamston and East Lansing locations.

Another nonprofit that received donations from the fundraiser was Project Friends Involved in Sportfishing Heritage, or FISH. The state-wide organization is part of the MSU Department of Fisheries and Wildlife and seeks to educate the community about sport fishing and aquatic resources.

Everything you need to know about fall commencement 2023

The fall commencement ceremonies will be held on Dec. 15 and 16 at the Breslin Center. Here’s everything you need to know before attending.

The deadline to register in order to participate in the ceremony was last Friday.

The keynote speaker for the advanced degrees ceremony will be John Hildebrand, the international secretary for the National Academy of Sciences. He will receive an honorary Doctor of Science Degree.

MSU alumnus Linda Apsey, president and CEO of the nation’s largest independent electricity commission company, ITC Holdings Corp., will address the 10 a.m. group on Dec. 16. She will receive an honorary Doctor of Business Degree.

David Macmillan, a James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professor of Chemistry at Princeton University and recipient of the 2021 Nobel Prize in chemistry, will address the 2 p.m. group on Dec. 16. He will receive an honorary Doctor of Science degree.

All commencement ceremonies will be livestreamed on MSU’s Commencement Ceremonies webpage. Additionally, social media users can follow the event with #SpartanGrad23.

For more information regarding more times and other additional information can be found at commencement.msu.edu.

Based on original reporting by Ridhima Kodali, Kayla Nelsen and Owen McCarthy.