2024 NFL Draft Full Team Grades: Teams 17-32
Jack David, NFL Beat Reporter • April 28, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting sunshine and clouds mixed with a high of 46 degrees and a low of 30 degrees.

Kathy Wilbur, staple of MSU community and state government, dies at 70

Kathy Wilbur, 70, the first woman to direct three state of Michigan departments and a fixture of the MSU community, died Sunday morning in her Okemos home surrounded by family.

Wilbur announced her retirement as senior vice president of government relations at MSU less than six weeks ago. Friends of Wilbur said she started experiencing pain soon after the announcement and received a cancer diagnosis. This was a recurrence of the disease, which she first beat in 2004.

In 1984, Wilbur was elected to MSU’s Board of Trustees where she served until 1991. She then served under former Gov. John Engler’s administration as the director of three different departments: consumer and industry services, commerce, and licensing and regulation.

The board’s statement said several key initiatives at MSU, including the Center to Prevent Mass Violence and MSU Apple Academy, which were funded because of Wilbur’s dedication and expertise.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Peoples Church in East Lansing.

Lansing businesses navigate the holiday season after the pandemic

As the merry bells chime, small businesses across Lansing frantically tie the final ribbons for their busiest season of the year.

The Holiday season is one of the most impactful seasons for small businesses and with COVID-19 finally calming down, it’s more important than ever that these businesses receive heavy amounts of online support and foot traffic to keep doors open, Ayalla Ruvio, associate professor of marketing at the Broad College of Business, said.

Ruvio said in emerging from the pandemic, Lansing witnessed a significant shift from in-person to remote jobs, causing many businesses to lose out on foot-traffic. This loss along with other uncontrollable issues such as general inflation and rising prices of goods everywhere make small businesses increasingly inaccessible for the typical working-class family.

Now, she said prices have risen and day-to-day life has made shopping at these small businesses unachievable for families, which only makes it harder for businesses to keep doors open.

Ruvio said while purchasing products may stand out as the primary means of contribution, even the simple act of window shopping plays a vital role in spreading support for these businesses.

Jonathan Smith introduced as MSU Football head coach at press conference

The last few days have marked the start of a new era for the Michigan State football team with newly appointed head coach Jonathan Smith being introduced at a press conference Tuesday afternoon.

Smith was faced with a challenge in terms of his future. He had built up Oregon State’s reputation in a power five conference, and was still under contract with the team through 2029.

At this stage in Smith’s career, working the way up the coaching tree has already proven to be completed. He had a job in Corvallis that was his, but when Smith was approached by MSU for the vacant position, he knew the opportunity was right.

There will be more changes as the offseason progresses, but solidifying a head coach that is prepared to win is a great first step. At the end of the day, the goal is to compete for championships, and Smith will attempt to do everything in his power to fulfill that expectation under his new position.

Based on original reporting by Owen McCarthy, Gabrielle Yeary and Jacob Smith.