Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy and damp with rain in the morning and then becoming partly cloudy later in the afternoon with a high of 56 degrees and a low of 27 degrees. For the weekend, it looks like it will be pretty sunny with temps in the lower 50’s.

Student mental health clubs prioritize culture and community to combat stigma

Several student organizations at Michigan State University have been created with the mission of supporting students’ mental health struggles. At a predominately white institution like MSU, some of these clubs are dedicated specifically to underrepresented student communities.

According to the Office of the Registrar’s university enrollment data, in the 2023 fall semester, 64.4% of the student population is white. In a majority white population, students of color face a unique struggle finding and connecting with peers who share their cultural experiences related to mental health.

Computer science sophomore Bailey Parker said that carving out space for community connection is vital for the mental health of students who may feel like there is nowhere to express themselves safely. Parker is a member of Sistas That Care, a club focused on mental health for black women.

Sistas That Care is a new student organization, officially registered this year, with the goal of creating a sisterhood for black women to focus on their mental health and engage in community service. Parker said she joined the group because of the safe space it provides black women to talk about their unique mental health experiences.

Spartan Shifa also recently became registered as its own organization after a few years of working within the Muslim Student Association, talking about the stigmatization of mental health. The club’s goal is to create space for Muslim students to connect over shared experiences and feel safe to be vulnerable about their mental health.

Preview: MSU Football looks to get back in win column on the road as they travel to face Indiana

The Michigan State Football team will be on the road for the second consecutive week as they travel to face Indiana tomorrow.

MSU showed little-to-no fight in their last contest against No. 3 ranked Ohio State, losing 38-3. With just two games left in the season and the Spartans already being eliminated from bowl game contention, they will look to play for the team’s pride heading down the final stretch.

Indiana hasn’t come across much success this season either, logging a 1-6 record in Big Ten conference play and 3-7 overall.

Offensively for MSU, inconsistency has been noticeable through ten games. Redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser has played well since taking over the starting quarterback role in week seven but hasn’t put together a breakout performance just yet. Houser’s best game came in the Spartan’s win over Nebraska, where he totaled a career-high 165 passing yards in a game with a touchdown on top. The hope comes from the defensive side of the ball for MSU, particularly on the line.

Kickoff for tomorrow is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. on Big Ten Network.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett and Jacob Smith.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Today

• Men’s Basketball will play Butler at 6:30 P.M.
  • Hockey will go against Wisconsin at 7:30 P.M.

Tomorrow

• Gymnastics will host the ‘Meet the Spartans Event’ at 1 P.M.
  • Hockey will play Wisconsin again at 6 P.M.

Sunday

• Women’s Basketball will vs. Evansville at 1 P.M.
  • Men’s Basketball will go against Alcorn State at 6 P.M.

For our last announcement, there won’t be any episodes of The State airing next week due to Thanksgiving break!