Today’s weather forecast is predicting overcast skies with a high of 52 degrees and a low of 39 degrees. For the weekend it looks like it will be lower 50’s with mixes of clouds and sun for both days.

MSU tenure-stream faculty launch union effort, leaders say 44% already support

Michigan State University tenure-track faculty members launched a public unionization campaign Wednesday in hopes of giving professors more power in administrative decision-making.

Supporters of the union argue it would give tenured faculty a larger role in discussions of changes that could stabilize the university and improve working conditions for professors.

They will need to get support from a simple majority of the tenure-track faculty to be recognized as a collective bargaining group by the university, according to the MSU ordinance governing unionization.

The Democrats on the board received a large portion of their campaign funding from major Michigan unions, according to campaign finance filings. Every Democrat received a donation from the United Auto Workers in their most recent campaign, most also solicited large contributions from the Michigan Education Association and AFT Michigan, which represents MSU’s non-tenure professors.

Senior MSU football lineman gearing up for final go at Spartan Stadium against Nebraska

Michigan State football will celebrate its Senior Day this weekend for their final home game of 2023 against the 5-3 Nebraska Cornhuskers. The battle of the trenches will be important if the Spartans want to come out victorious, and defensive line coach Diron Reynolds knows his guys have to prepare for an “old-school” offense that features a dual-threat quarterback.

“They do a really good job,” Reynolds said. “Their quarterback is their gold right now. You see a lot of option-type plays, speed options, and others of the sort, and they create a lot of gap opportunities for the quarterback. I think he does a really good job being patient behind the blocking. I think the offensive line does a good job despite the moving pieces in there.”

It’s been a long road at MSU for redshirt senior defensive lineman Maverick Hansen, who will be playing in East Lansing for the last time this weekend. While he has served as a rotational player for most of his career, his impact goes far beyond statistics.

In his five years in the green and white, Hansen has seen a lot of ups and downs with the program. Amid a six-game losing streak, he knows just how big a win on Saturday could mean not just for him and his fellow seniors but for the younger guys on the team who are struggling and dealing with adversity of this magnitude for the first time.

Kick-off for tomorrow is set at 12 p.m. and can be found on FS1.

Based on original reporting by Alex Walters and Nick Lundberg.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Today

• Women’s Tennis will participate in the Spartan Invite today through Sunday.
  • Men’s Soccer will play Ohio State at 6:30 P.M. in the B1G Tournament Quarterfinal.
  • Volleyball will go up against Maryland at 7 P.M. at the Breslin Center.

Tomorrow

• MSU Football vs. Nebraska at noon at Spartan Stadium.
  • Volleyball will play Iowa at 7 P.M.