Today’s weather forecast is predicting sunny skies with a high of 85 degrees and a low of 62 degrees.

Sudden sinkhole occurs on campus, causes and future risks remain unclear

A sudden sinkhole opened around 10 p.m. last Wednesday, causing the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety to close off an area of Service Road in front of Spartan Linen Services.

MSUPD spokesperson Dana Whyte believes that, because this is an “isolated incident,” MSU’s campus has no risk for future sinkholes.

However, Bob Drost, an MSU assistant professor who teaches science communication and natural hazards, said that one sinkhole can indicate other safety hazards nearby.

Drost said sinkholes are ditches or caverns that develop unexpectedly because of a weakness below ground. While he doesn’t know what caused the sinkhole on Service Road last Wednesday, he said that most sinkholes have natural causes.

The sinkhole that appeared on campus was reported as a road hazard to MSUPD at 9 p.m. on Wednesday in the area near the Recycling Center. MSU Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, or IPF, repaired the sinkhole at around 3 a.m. last Thursday.

MSUPD opened this area of Service Road at 9 a.m. once they felt there was no longer a safety concern. Drost believes asphalt may temporarily fix this sinkhole, but it can’t solve future problems.

MSU instructor on leave after students discover meth lab arrest

Michigan State University kinesiology instructor Brendan Doyle is on leave after students found news articles linking him to a bust of a Louisiana meth lab.

The deputies soon connected Doyle — then a professor at Nicholls State University — to the lab and obtained arrest warrants, but discovered he had fled the state.

Months later, they arrested Doyle after he was seen packing a moving truck at his residence. He was charged with “creation or operation of a clandestine laboratory for the unlawful manufacture of a controlled dangerous substance,” according to the release.

The local prosecutor who would have handled Doyle’s case told The State News they have no records of Doyle being tried or sentenced.

MSU spokesperson Dan Olsen said Doyle is now on leave. He declined to say whether the leave is paid, citing “legal and privacy concerns.”

A lost space for the outdoor community: Grand River Ave. Moosejaw to close

The outdoor gear and apparel store, Moosejaw, located off of East Lansing’s Grand River Ave., along with 11 other store locations, is set to close after the Michigan-based company’s acquisition by Dick’s Sporting Goods in Feb. this year.

In 2021, Dick’s established its first outdoor concept store, Public Lands, with a brick-and-mortar location in Pittsburgh. The store features an assortment of outdoor apparel and gear. According to a written statement from the Dick’s press team, the decision to merge with Moosejaw contributes to the growth of Public Lands.

In addition to offering a student discount to customers, Moosejaw collaborates with the MSU Outdoors Club for events, sponsorships and giveaways. It is also the only small outdoor specialty store of its kind in the Lansing area.

Based on original reporting by Willow Symonds, Alex Walters and Kayla Nelsen.