Today’s weather forecast is predicting scattered thunderstorms in the morning, then mainly cloudy during the afternoon with thunderstorms likely with a high of 68 degrees and a low of 58 degrees.

A shooting happened early Sunday in East Lansing: Here’s why you didn’t get an MSU alert

The East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD, is investigating a shooting that occurred around 12:30 a.m. Sunday near Coolidge Road and Saginaw Street. Michigan State University Chief of Police Chris Rozman said a university alert was not sent out to students because they did not have credible information that the shooting took place near campus.

Rozman said MSUPD was not involved.

WLNS reported that ELPD found one gunshot victim at the intersection of Saginaw Street and Coolidge Road, and said the public was not in danger.

MSU unveils electric vehicle fast-charging stations, striding towards a more sustainable future

Michigan State University unveiled two new electric vehicle charging stations at the CATA Multimodal Transportation Center Friday morning. The stations are the first fast-charging electric vehicle stations on MSU’s campus.

The stations are available for public use. For a standard electric vehicle, it would take about thirty minutes to be fully charged, according to Consumer Energy Director of Electric Transportation Programs Jeff Meyer.

Meyer said that the location of the charging stations is “the most diverse site as far as potential uses” due to the volume of people going to and from the University.

The MSU College of Engineering developed an optimization model for determining the location of charging stations, which lead the station to the multimodal transportation center, according to Michigan Development of Environment Community Program Director Jennifer Crawford.

Crawford said that the journey towards more electric vehicle-friendly infrastructure is just beginning.

Meridian Green Team hosts recycling event for residents

Meridian Cares joined the Meridian Green Team for a recycling event held on Saturday.

The event, held at Chippewa Middle School in Okemos, was a drive-by donation collection where volunteers would remove any waste in a drive-by dump, hoping to curb waste and encourage recycling.

Meridian Cares is also holding a coat collection drive, which will continue through the rest of the week.

Meridian Green Team is a recycling-oriented volunteer organization that hosts multiple “green” events a year, including recycling events, composting, and sustainability education. Meanwhile, Meridian Cares is a fundraiser-based program that helps local families who are struggling.

Although the items being recycled vary by the event, the Green Team decided to collect electronics and appliances for this season’s collection because of how large a factor they play in waste streams.

On Saturday, along with coats, they collected televisions, monitors, computers/laptops, mobile phones, satellite boxes, printers, scanners, and stereo equipment. The public could also donate appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners, freezers, and dehumidifiers.

All electronics from this year’s donation will be taken by Valley City Electronics Recycling out of Grand Rapids, where they will be sorted and used for parts. The donated coats will be locally redistributed to other families in the greater Lansing area that are financially struggling.

Volunteers for the recycling events vary from schools to businesses, but the Green Team always pulls in high numbers of volunteers.

Based on original reporting by Ridhima Kodali, Jaden Beard and Anna Rossow.