Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy early with partial sunshine expected later with a high of 80 degrees and a low of 53 degrees. For the weekend it looks like it will be lower to higher 70s and plentiful sunshine.

MSU swim club holds “Marathon for MSU” in campaign to reinstate swim and dive team

On Tuesday night, the MSU swim club set out to collectively swim 26.2 miles over the course of their evening practice. Their effort, dubbed “Marathon for MSU,” was meant to draw attention to the long and ongoing fight to reinstate MSU’s swim and dive team which was shut down in 2020.

The end of MSU swim and dive has been a contentious issue since it was first cut due to a “financial crisis.” A few months following the decision, 11 members of the women’s team filed a Title IX lawsuit that nearly reached the U.S. Supreme Court and was settled with the university earlier this year. But the team was not reinstated.

This past summer, however, hopes for the team’s reinstatement resurged following the approval of a new 50-meter pool as part of a planned student recreation center, which is currently under construction.

Following the news, University of Michigan swimmer Matthew Kroll approached supporters of the swim and dive team with the idea for a marathon-length swim in support of the team’s reinstatement. According to Kroll’s website, Marathon for MSU sets aside the fierce rivalry between the two schools to focus on supporting all collegiate swimming programs.

Despite news of the new 50-meter pool giving MSU swimmers a glimmer of hope, there is a big hurdle to overcome which is the fundraising goal set by Interim President Teresa Woodruff in June. According to Woodruff, if the team fundraised the amount needed and by October, MSU would reinstate the team.

Regardless of the fundraiser’s status, swim club members who participated in the marathon made it clear that they want the varsity team reinstated.

Homecoming Grand Marshal Molly Brennan: MSU will always be home

Homecoming’s Grand Marshal Molly Brennan was in disbelief when she was contacted about the opportunity to serve as grand marshal this year. But immediately after, she felt an immense feeling of honor.

Brennan, an alumna of MSU’s class of 1982, has a great list of achievements from her time at the university.

A prolific track and field athlete in college, Brennan was named an All-American twice, served as captain of MSU’s first Big Ten women’s outdoor championship team and was inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame. Off the field, Brennan graduated second in her class while studying both computer science and humanities. Her academic achievements earned her a Rhodes Scholarship to obtain a Master in Philosophy at Oxford University.

After finishing her education, Brennan joined General Motors Co. as both an engineer and driver for the winning GM’s Sunraycer solar car team in the first World Solar Challenge. There, she set four solar and electric land speed Guinness World Records.

From the moment she arrived on campus, Brennan never doubted MSU’s significance in her life. To her, MSU is the school that gave her the opportunity to study what she loved, compete at the highest level and create lifelong friendships.

As Brennan leads the homecoming parade down Grand River Avenue today, she said one person will be on her mind: James Bibbs, MSU’s former track coach who was named last year’s homecoming grand marshal.

MSU’s Pad the Mitten holds ‘period package’ party, advocates for awareness

On Tuesday, Michigan State University’s menstrual equity and justice club Pad the Mitten held its first period package party of the semester. The organization’s goal was to donate 100 period packages to the Salus Center, an LGBTQIA+ community center in Lansing.

Held in Wells Hall, the event featured an assemly line-set up of pads, tampons, wrappers and bags, and was operated by over 20 students.

Seventy-five percent of the products used were from MSU Trio Student Support Services (SSS) Program, an on-campus group that supports first-generation college students and donates to other organizations. The other 25% of products were leftovers from previous package parties.

Social relations and policy and comparative cultures and politics senior Mackenzie Lovell is President of Pad the Mitten. Lovell, who has been involved in the organization since her freshman year, said she was “elated” to see a huge turnout for the party.

Two years ago, the Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, passed a bill requiring free menstrual products in all restrooms on campus. While Lovell noticed products placed in Wells Hall and Case Hall, among others, she said she is unsure of the actual supply.

Lovell added that Pad the Mitten works to be intersectional and inclusive, especially pertaining to gender.

Package parties occur three to four times a semester, and are the club’s most popular event.

Based on original reporting by Emilio Perez Ibarguen and Ridhima Kodali.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Today

• Field Hockey will go against Indiana at 3 P.M. at Ralph Young Field.
  • Also going against Indiana, Men’s Soccer will play at 7:30 P.M. at Demartin Stadium.

Tomorrow

• Football will go against Maryland at 3:30 P.M. at Spartan Stadium.

Sunday

• Field Hockey will vs. Central Michigan at 1 P.M. at Ralph Young Field.

For our final announcement, the MSU Homecoming Parade will take place tonight at 6 P.M. in downtown East Lansing.