Today’s weather forecast is predicting intervals of clouds and sunshine with a high of 65 degrees and a low of 45 degrees.

MSU coach Tucker responds to harassment claims, calls allegations ‘character assassination’

Michigan State University football coach Mel Tucker has released a statement responding to allegations of sexual harassment.

Tucker was suspended Sunday evening less than 24 hours after a report by USA Today revealed that he was under investigation by MSU’s Office of Institutional Equity.

Brenda Tracy, a rape survivor and advocate who worked with Tucker to educate his team on sexual violence, claims Tucker made a phone call in April 2022 that began with a sexually suggestive comment about her appearance and ended with Tucker masturbating on the line.

Gov. Whitmer responds to Tucker’s suspension, asks for answers from MSU

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer released a statement Monday night in response to the news of Mel Tucker’s suspension and Title IX Investigation. In the report, she asks for answers from Michigan State about the timeline of the investigation.

In the statement, Whitmer says that MSU should share details about the timeline of when the allegations came to surface.

Whitmer’s statement states as follows:

“As a survivor, I’m shocked. As a Spartan, I’m disappointed. As Governor, I want answers.

I know the pain that so many feel when allegations like this come to light because I live it too. It’s retraumatizing. MSU holds a special place in so many of our hearts–which is what makes this hurt more.

We deserve to know when the university knew about these allegations and why they made the decisions they did. We need to ensure that one of our state’s flagship universities, one that carries so much weight around the world, is learning from the past and not recreating it.

Spartans, survivors and Michiganders–we deserve better.”

The hidden gems of the Greater Lansing area

The start of a new academic year calls for mastering the art of navigating CATA buses. What better way to do so than by uncovering the hidden treasures of Greater Lansing?

While Grand River Avenue and the MSU campus offer diverse activities, Greater Lansing has numerous unique areas waiting to be discovered.

Whether you have some free time or a canceled class, you can grab a friend and embark on an adventure to explore Lansing’s unique shops.

A great place to start is Batter Up Bistro. When you’ve run out of Combo-X-Changes to use at Starbucks and Strange Matter, this is the place to go. Located in downtown Lansing, this bistro sets itself apart by pairing coffees with full menu items like their pan-seared salmon.

While this bistro is on the higher end of the pay scale for college students, Batter Up Bistro keeps its promise by using organic ingredients in every meal and serving freshly baked artisan bread daily.

Next, after getting your cup of coffee, Vintage Junkies is the next stop for home décor, fashion and more.

Located on Washington Ave., this curated gem offers a variety of goods. From one-of-a-kind reupholstered furniture to vintage fur coats, you’re bound to fall in love with something.

Once you’ve found the perfect couch at Vintage Junkies, it’s time to look for a matching painting at Absolute Gallery.

The Absolute Gallery is in the heart of the Old Town district in Lansing and sells a variety of handmade goods. From paintings to necklaces, the Absolute Gallery has it all.

For any theater enthusiasts, Riverwalk Theatre in Lansing is the perfect place for all of your theater needs. With a packed season line-up, the theater always has new shows coming.

To end off your night out, make sure to stop at Fox Park Public Observatory.

Further away from the heart of Lansing in Potterville, this observatory offers a view of the night sky with limited light pollution to cloud it.

Based on original reporting by Alex Walters, Jaden Beard and Gabrielle Yeary.