Today’s weather forecast is predicting mostly cloudy skies with a slight chance of a rain shower with a high of 65 degrees and a low of 47 degrees.

Harlon Barnett and Mark Dantonio to step in for Mel Tucker during suspension

After the suspension of Michigan State football Head Coach Mel Tucker, Interim President Teresa K. Woodruff and Athletic Director Alan Haller announced during their Sunday afternoon press conference that Secondary Coach Harlon Barnett will take over as head coach while Tucker is away from the team.

The suspension comes after a USA Today Report cited sexual misconduct between Tucker and Brenda Tracy, a sexual assault survivor who now acts as a public speaker on issues regarding sexual violence in sports.

Former Head Coach Mark Dantonio is also being brought back as an Associate Head Coach.

Barnett is currently in his 15th year with the Spartans after returning to the staff in 2020 after a stint with Florida State. His whole tenure has been spent in a role of coaching the secondary unit.

Dantonio returns after a very successful head coaching stint, winning three Big Ten Championships, the school’s second-ever Rose Bowl in 2014, and the program’s only College Football Playoff appearance in 2015.

While Dantonio has been named the Associate Head Coach, his current role on game days is still unclear.

Tucker’s Title IX hearing is also scheduled for Oct. 5 and 6, during the Spartans bye week.

‘Shocked’ and ‘disgusted’: MSU students react to Mel Tucker Title IX investigation

As news broke Sunday morning that MSU head football coach Mel Tucker is the subject of an ongoing Title IX investigation, students across campus reacted with shock, anger and embarrassment.

Tucker, who has been the head football coach for three years, has been accused of sexual harassment by Brenda Tracy, a sexual assault survivor and advocate. In his time as coach, Tucker worked alongside Tracy on a campaign to promote consent and healthy sexual practices at MSU, specifically among athletes.

As coach, Tucker garnered a positive reputation among the Spartan community. But the news of the investigation into Tracy’s claims has left students confused and disappointed.

Upon hearing the news, many students and members of the community have called for Tucker to be fired.

The news has also caused people to question the university administration and the Board of Trustees. Many are left wondering why the investigation, which began in early 2023, was not made public sooner.

In addition to student reactions on campus, an anonymous member of MSU’s class of ’89 left a sweatshirt and handwritten note in front of the Hannah Administration Building. The shirt, which has the popular “Tuck Comin'” slogan used by many football fans on the front, has been written over in a statement that reads, “Yes, we all know. Now please make Tuck go!”

MSU experts discuss recent extreme weather events, expectations for Michigan

A little while ago, heavy thunderstorms hit East Lansing creating debris and flooding, prompting Michigan State University to issue a severe weather warning. Throughout the months of Aug. and Sept., many natural disasters have swept the nation, including the tragic Maui wildfires which left 115 people dead, hurricane Idalia a Category 3 hurricane and Hurricane Hillary, a pacific storm battering the west coast.

Extreme weather events like these, as well as the tornadoes that touched ground in areas surrounding Lansing, have generated discussion among MSU experts over climate change and its implications for Michigan.

Earth and environmental sciences professor Bruno Basso said climate change is increasing the frequency of severe weather.

In the event of incidents like the Maui fires, Basso said, extremely dry vegetation, increasing temperatures and low precipitation are direct consequences of climate change, creating conditions for extreme weather events.

On the other hand, geography professor and Michigan state climatologist Jeff Andresen said weather patterns and climate change can present a “challenging connection.”

In terms of what to expect for this winter in Michigan, a state notorious for its bipolar weather patterns and icy, torturous winters, both Basso and Andersen predict a milder and drier season.

Andersen said there is evidence that the snowfall will total to “less than normal.”

Based on original reporting by Nick Lundberg, Emilio Perez Ibarguen, Shakyra Mabone, and Abbigayle Gabli.