Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy in the morning and then off and on rain showers during the afternoon with a high of 70 degrees and a low of 57 degrees.

Firearms now illegal on MSU campus, regardless of licenses

Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees amended the campus gun policy so that even those licensed to openly or concealed carry firearms by the state will now be violating an ordnance enforceable by police and potentially criminally charged by the county prosecutor.

The old policy prohibited possession or use of firearms on MSU property, “except as permitted by state law regulating firearms.”

The revisions, which the board passed in a 5-2 vote Friday, remove that exception and add new, more specific carve-outs allowing only law enforcement to carry firearms on campus.

The change takes immediate effect, and in coming months, the university plans to add signage across campus alerting visitors to the restriction, according to an MSU spokesperson.

The description of Friday’s amendment notes that the board waited to introduce the change until a Michigan Court of Appeals case clarifying universities’ ability to regulate firearms was resolved in July.

MSU board ends chair elections in split vote

In a rare contested vote, Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees amended its bylaws during its meeting Friday, ending contentious chair elections in favor of year-long turns at the helm decided by seniority.

Until now, every two years the board voted to select a chair charged with leading, setting the agenda and speaking publicly for the board at events and with the media. But with the new decision, every year, the trustee who has been on the board the longest will have a chance to serve as chair, or they can decline, passing the offer to the next most senior trustee.

The revisions passed 5-2, with current chair Rema Vassar and current vice-chair Dan Kelly opposing.

Trustee Brianna Scott, who introduced the revisions, said they were prompted by contentious chair elections that have divided the board.

Scott continued, saying “every two years we have issues. We have relationships on this board that have been fractured because of the board chair election.”

Previously, the board chair set the agenda and to add an item afterward, six votes were required. This meant that even an item supported by a simple majority of five could be stopped by the chair alone. But with the new revisions, adding something to the agenda will require only three votes.

MSU dining halls return to disposable utensils amid staffing shortage

MSU students arrived on campus this semester to see dining halls once again stocked with disposable cutlery. The presence of single-use plastics in dining halls has been a cause for concern for some students.

However, in the two weeks since fall move-in, the university has made progress in restoring reusable utensils in dining halls, culinary services spokesperson Cheryl Berry said. Berry estimated that one or two dining halls are still using disposables, a decrease from five locations at the beginning of the school year.

This is not the first time MSU has resorted to single-use cutlery due to understaffing. At this time last year, understaffing resulted in the implementation of disposable utensils, cups, bowls and plates.

Many students have criticized the return of single-use plastics in the dining halls.

Berry responded to environmental concerns by saying that MSU’s culinary services work alongside a sustainability officer that they consult before making large decisions.

Based on original reporting by Alex Walters and Emilio Perez Ibarguen.