“Lune” like the bird? | “Lune” by Colouring

The electro-pop band, Colouring, released their newest single “Lune” in late August. With lead singer, Jack Kenworthy’s, voice of tranquility, the unique atmospheric undertone unveiled by lead guitarist, Sean Reilly, and bass player, Dom Potts, and the steady foundation provided by the band’s drummer, Alex Johnson, the London band produced a hit that impressed audiences yet again. 

Colouring is a band that doesn’t get enough credit. One of their top songs “Time” was featured in the popular TV series “13 Reasons Why” and peaked on Amazon Music’s Album 200 Chart at number 26 upon its release in 2018. But not all of their best songs have reached beyond their fanbase, even if they are deserving. A prime example being their newest single, “Lune,” which is very reminiscent of their other euphoric, addictive song “The Wave,” released back in 2017 near the band’s beginnings in 2015.

Colouring has a consistent sound through all of their songs, commonly referencing and creating nostalgic feelings of partnership with a loved one. The 3 minute 47 second song, “Lune,” doesn’t depart from this. With elements of electronic background, “Lune” uses instrumentals to mirror the sounds of a beach and the flow of the ocean to build a foundation of nostalgia and represents the singer’s relationship. He repeats several times throughout the song:

“Oo, baby, you’re getting me through, I need it” 

This refers to the connection between himself and his partner, the almost dependency on his partner to overcome the struggle he is experiencing.

Another specialty of Kenworthy’s singing is the poetic lyrics he uses to capture the band’s essence of peaceful, reflective moods. This, while featured through several of the band’s songs, shines in “Lune,” making the repetitive nature of the lyrics addictive rather than annoying or dull. 

On top of this, with the change to and from the chorus, the beat increases to a head bopping rhythm, with the lyrics complementing the synth-pop background sound. As the singer reaches higher notes, the beat becomes louder, and the song wraps around the ribs of the listener’s chest, engulfing them in the pattern of Kenworthy’s breathy lyrics and arresting their heart to beat to the rhythm of the drums. 

The song almost offers the listener an out-of-body experience, fully in a world of peaceful tranquility that Colouring creates. “Lune” is addictive, sentimental, nostalgic and worth the listen.