Gehrig Normand chooses Michigan State

MSU+head+coach+Tom+Izzo%2F+Photo+credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU head coach Tom Izzo/ Photo credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Liam Jackson, Sports Editor

EAST LANSING – Gehrig Normand announced his commitment to play basketball at Michigan State on Tuesday night via Instagram. Normand is a four-star wing from North Richland Hills, Texas.

https://twitter.com/GehrigNormand20/status/1554629387533836293

The 6-foot-6 wing chose the Spartans over Tennessee, Illinois, Wisconsin and others. Normand took an official visit to Michigan State on July 28, 2022 and received an offer from MSU on July 30, 2022. The last campus he visited before committing was Michigan State and it made a good impression.

“Once I left that campus I knew where I was going,” said Normand via his Instagram Live.

247 Sports has Normand ranked as the No. 89 overall player, the No. 17 ranked small forward and the fifth best player in Texas for the 2023 class.

Normand joins five-star forward Xavier Booker and four-star point guard Jeremy Fears in the 2023 recruiting class. 247 Sports has the Spartan’s class ranked in the top five nationally.

“We are going to be a national championship team,” Normand said.

A lot of similarities can be drawn between Normand and former Michigan State player Matt McQuaid. Both are similar in size, play on the wing, are effective three-point shooters and are from Texas. McQuaid played for MSU from 2015 to 2019 and is now an assistant coach for the Spartans.

“I’ve got somebody to guide me through it all and somebody to help me,” Normand said about McQuaid.