Lacie Hudson

MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. joins Task Force on Higher Education and Opportunity – Emily Bevard: Michigan State University President Samuel L. Stanley Jr will serve alongside 37 college and university leaders across the country on the Task Force on Higher Education and Opportunity. Stanley stated in an MSUToday release that he is “honored to be a part of such a dedicated group of higher education leaders focused on improving outcomes for our students and communities”. According to the release, the group’s goals surround preparing vulnerable students and graduates for success despite living through the worst recession in 50 years, partnering with local communities in an inclusive recovery, and reimagining how quality and accessible higher education is delivered.

MSU receives over $1 million in donations on Give Green Day – Jared Ramsey: On Tuesday, March 16th, Michigan State raised over $1 million dollars as a part of Give Green Day, a 24-hour fundraising event to enhance the experience of current and future MSU students in programs across the university. The two programs that received the most support on Give Green Day were MSU athletics reaching a total of $257,765 and MSU alumni club scholarships with a total of $210,650. Both reaching over 1,000 donations each. The project receiving the most donations was the The James Madison College Emergency Scholarship Fund reaching $34,074. 25 out of the 31 programs on the Give Green website met their donation goal on Give Green Day, showing widespread support from MSU alumni for all programs at MSU.

Detroit saxophonist brings MSUFCU Jazz Artist in Residence Program to finale – Morgan Womack: After a week of workshops and webinars, students from the jazz department will be experiencing the final performance of the MSUFCU Jazz Artist in Residence program with alto saxophonist Charles McPherson. The week of webinars and workshops included Q&A sessions, saxophone workshops, and improvisation classes for students and faculty. In previous years, the guest artist toured around the state, performing at different schools. Despite the activities being held online, teachers are trying to make events and online learning worthwhile. The final virtual performance will be open to the public and will take place on Friday, March 19th at 8 p.m.

Script writer: Kelly Winters

The State is produced by The State News and Impact 89FM.