Prominent Spartan Supporter Brian Storm dies

Spartan Stadium in the fall/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Brian Goldsmith, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING— Brian Storm, a prominent Michigan State Athletics supporter, died on Feb. 9 after a battle with COVID-19. Storm, a Saginaw native and the president & CEO of Sports Fields Inc., was known for giving back to his alma mater, MSU, through the renovations of MSU’s outdoor sports stadiums. 

He graduated from Michigan State in 1977 with a bachelor’s degree in Landscape and Nursery Management. 

Storm used his business to make the Spartans’ home baseball field the first baseball stadium in the world with an electronic heating system. 

For his contributions in the baseball program, he was honored as the MSU Baseball Alumnus of the Year at the First Pitch Dinner in 2018. 

“Brian was a very loyal and proud Spartan, as well as a dear friend,” MSU baseball head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “He was so sincere and genuine to everyone he ever met. He loved being a Spartan and always enjoyed coming back to campus. He dedicated his life to not just serving the needs of Spartans, but everyone he worked with. I know I speak on behalf of all of Michigan State Athletics in sending our thoughts and prayers to Brian’s family and friends.” 

Sports Fields Inc. also renovated the MSU soccer stadium, DeMartin Stadium, the Spartan softball field, Secchia Stadium and McLane Stadium at Kobs Field.  The company has also helped to renovate Lambeau Field (Green Bay Packers), AT&T Stadium (Dallas Cowboys), Target Field (Minnesota Twins) and many other professional sports fields and complexes.