Lacie Hudson, Case deKoning

Movie theaters, bowling alleys and arcades are among the latest facilities set to reopen Oct. 9 after Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed an Executive Order which also requires face coverings for students in grades K-5.

The order allows for gatherings of up to 500 people indoors and up to 1,000 outdoors, although it all depends on the size of the venue however, with most venues having capacities much smaller than that.

James Madison College Student Senate released a statement Friday, criticizing Michigan State University Residential and Hospitality Services for furloughing more than 700 student employees on short notice.

The statement– accompanied by signatures of support from 14 student groups — claimed that the university was well aware of their fiscal budget for the Fall 2020 semester before September, all while directing RHS student workers to perform all tasks for on-campus move-in before exhausting students of their labor and liquidating them for University profit.

The JMC Student Senate has demanded that the university rehire all of the affected employees, along with a formal apology.

With many East Lansing businesses facing a financial crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a local business owner of a T-shirt company stepped up to help the community.

RetroDuck is currently offering a new line of shirts that prominently displays a different East Lansing business such as El Azteco or Ricks. For each purchase made, RetroDuck owner and President Luke Hackney said the store will be donating $5 to the business featured on the shirt.