Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Adam Steinhauer, Marketing Director • May 10, 2024
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Eagle Spirit dancer Migizii Kwe dances with the audience at this years East Lansing Art Festival. Photo credit: Samantha Ku/WDBM
2024 East Lansing Art Festival Q&A
Samantha Ku, Writer/Volunteer • May 18, 2024

Heather Majano is the Art Festival & Arts Initiative Coordinator under the East Lansing Parks, Recreation & Arts department, she...

Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
2024 East Lansing Art Festival Q&A

MSU hockey sends three representatives to team USA

The Spartans hoist the Duel in the D trophy after a 3-2 victory over Michigan on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2024 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. (Avery Kotel)

EAST LANSING- Michigan State hockey announced on Sunday that two players and one team staff member were selected to compete for Team USA at the IIHF World Championships in the Czech Republic from May 10-26. 

Freshman goaltender Trey Augustine and former MSU defenseman Jeff Petry are the two players who will represent Team USA. 

Augustine is coming off of an impressive freshman season for the Spartans and has previously played for Team USA in the World Junior Championships. In January, he led the Team USA U20 team to the gold medal and won gold with the U18 team last May. This will be Augustine’s first appearance at the senior men’s World Championsip. 

During his freshman campaign at MSU, Augustine earned All-Big Ten honors, being selected to the All-Big Ten Second team and Freshman team. He was also selected as a finalist for the Big Ten Goaltender of the Year, leading the Spartans to their first Big Ten regular season and tournament championship.

Jeff Petry will be competing in his fourth World Championship after completing his 14th NHL season for the Detroit Red Wings. During his time at MSU from 2007 to 2010, he compiled a 9, 58, and 67 scoring line over three seasons, including captaining the Spartans as a junior. 

Petry was selected by the Edmonton Oilers at No. 45 overall in the 2006 NHL Draft and has appeared in 937 NHL games, playing for Edmonton, Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Detroit.

MSU’s performance coach Will Morlock will also represent Team USA as the Strength and Conditioning coach.

Morlock is coming off of his second season as the performance coach for the Spartans. He was a part of the Team USA staff at the 2023 World Junior Championships and won the bronze medal. 

Team USA will be in Group B with nations including France, Germany, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Poland, Slovakia, and Sweden. They will open up group play against Sweden on May 10 in Ostrava.