MSU manager Jake Boss walks to the dugout before the Spartans take on Notre Dame on April 26, 2022/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM
MSU baseball prepares for rivalry weekend versus Michigan
Kyle Keegan, General Assignment Reporter • May 3, 2024

MSU baseball takes game one of three against Penn State under the Friday night lights

EAST LANSING- Michigan State and Penn State kicked off a three-game weekend series at McLane Stadium on Friday, with a pivotal matchup in the Big Ten standings. 

Joseph Dzierwa took the mound for the Spartans with Travis Luensmann getting the start for the Nittany Lions.

MSU was able to get on the board first in the bottom of the second, the inning began with a lead-off single by Greg Ziegler, followed by a walk by Sam Busch. After a double steal, Ziegler scored on an RBI groundout by Sam Thompson, as the Spartans struck first.

Penn State was struck right back in the third, on an RBI single by JT Marr, extending his team lead on the season to 37 RBI’s. The Nittany Lions took the lead in the next inning on a lead-off home run by Grant Norris, giving PSU a 2-1 lead.

The Spartans were able to get a rally going in the fifth on Luensmann, as Randy Seymour led off the inning by getting hit by a pitch. Jack Frank singled in the next at-bat, and Dillon Kark drove both runners in on a hard liner down the third baseline for a double, to drive in two runs and give MSU a 3-2 lead. 

Freshman Ryan McKay continued the rally with an RBI single to drive in Kark and give the Spartans a 4-2 lead, wrapping up a three-run rally for the Spartans in the fifth. 

“In the first, we took a lot of pitches, we didn’t chase, we didn’t expand the strike zone, our hitters really executed the game plan to perfection,” said MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. 

“We flipped it there in the fifth and were able to get some good barrels to the ball.”  

Michigan State continued their offensive push in the bottom of the sixth, as Sam Thompson led the inning off with a single. Jack Frank ripped an RBI triple to stay hot, deep into right-center field, to drive in Thompson and give the Spartans a 5-2 lead.

Frank followed up his two-homer performance on Wednesday with a triple, single, and an RBI tonight, as the senior continued his impressive season at the plate. Dillon Kark picked up his third RBI of the game driving in Frank on a Sac Fly and making the MSU lead 6-2

“Be patient but be aggressive, and ultimately it worked out in our favor, got the pitch count up, got him out of the game and into the bullpen,” Frank said.

“It was an excellent job attacking the plan we had today.” 

Aaron Mishoulam came on in relief of Dzierwa to start the seventh. Dzierwa’s final line was six innings pitched, allowing two earned runs on three hits and five walks. He struck out six batters en route to his fourth win of the season. 

“I thought Joseph was good tonight, I thought he really competed even though he probably didn’t have his best stuff.” Boss said. 

“He said in the sixth he felt really good, really confident . . . I thought Joseph was really good tonight” 

Mishoulam was on his game right away, picking up two strikeouts and setting the Nittany Lions down in order. came back out for the eighth, where Penn State started chipping away, with an RBI double by JT Marr, his second RBI of the night. 

The Nittany Lions were able to cut the lead in half in the top of the 8th on a 2-out RBI double by Bryce Molinaro, and then down to one run with a pinch-hit RBI double by Matt Maloney to drive in Molinaro. 

Nolan Higgins came on in relief for the Spartans with two outs in the eighth and did his job, striking out freshman pinch hitter Michael DiMartini to end the inning and hold the lead for MSU. 

MSU was unable to tack any runs on in the bottom half, and the game went to the ninth with the Spartans clutching onto a one-run lead Higgins stayed on for MSU in the ninth, looking to pick up his first save of his collegiate career. He retired the side in order, recording the four-out save, and securing the win for MSU, 6-5.

“We wanna win a series, and winning on a Friday certainly helps,” Coach Boss said. 

“Nolan Higgins, I’m really happy for him, he’s been up and down a lot this year . . . we went back to him today in a big spot and he came through for us.” 

Michigan State picks up its second straight win and improves their overall record to 16-19 on the season, with their Big Ten record to 4-6. It was also the Spartans first win against the Nittany Lions since the 2021 season. As for Penn State, they dropped their fourth straight game and their Big Ten record is now 5-8. 

“We were winning that game, we should’ve won that game, good result today but at the end of the day I’m not surprised . . . I know we’re good enough to win these games, good enough to win close games,” Frank said. 

The series continues with game two tomorrow at McLane Stadium at 3:35 P.M. The probable starters are Nick Powers for MSU and Jaden Henline for PSU.