MSU hockey completes comeback with 5-4 overtime win over Western Michigan

MSU freshman defender Patrick Geary (2) celebrates with sophomore forward Tiernan Shoudy (13) after a Spartan goal in a 5-4 overtime victory over Michigan for the B1G Championship on Saturday, Mar. 23, 2024 at Munn Ice Arena. (Avery Kotel)

MARYLAND HEIGHTS, Mo. – For the first time since 2012, the Michigan State hockey team appeared in the NCAA Hockey Tournament against in-state foe Western Michigan in the Maryland Heights regional semifinal. The No. 1-seeded Spartans rallied from a 4-2 deficit to defeat the Broncos 5-4 in overtime, advancing to the regional final.

“Proud of our guys, that was a really special game for us, our goal is to come here and win two hockey games,” said MSU head coach Adam Nightingale. “Our group has done a good job of being even-keeled.”

Entering the third period, MSU trailed 4-2 after three unanswered goals in the second period for Western Michigan by freshman forward Alex Bump, senior forward Sam Colangelo, and graduate defenseman Zak Galambos.

Halfway through the third period, senior defenseman Nash Nienhuis scored to help spark the Spartan rally, cutting their deficit to one.

“It just comes down to our forwards and their ability to turn pucks over and make great plays,” said Nienhuis. “I got to compliment our forwards, they help make it easy for us.”

With under a minute to play, sophomore forward Karsen Dorwart received a great pass from freshman defenseman Artyom Levshunov to even the contest up at four.

Nine minutes into overtime, senior forward Jeremy Davidson scored the game-winner to cap off a thrilling come-from-behind win for the Spartans.

“He’s been through a lot, thankful for him for buying in, it was good to see him get the goal,” said Nightingale.

Freshman goaltender Trey Augustine recorded 34 saves in the win. Sophomore forward Daniel Russell and junior defenseman David Gucciardi also recorded goals in the win.

The Spartans will face the winner of North Dakota and Michigan in the regional final. Puck drop is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.