Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting thundershowers following a period of rain early. Gust winds and small hail are also a possibility with a high of 49 degrees and a low of 37 degrees.

Student-Made Michigan State: Creativity meets business savvy with student-run ventures

A new program has taken Michigan State University’s campus by storm this past year. The Burgess Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation has partnered with Student-Made: An organization that provides a space for student creators to run their own small businesses right from the comfort of their college campus.

Student-Made Michigan State strives to empower student creators by highlighting their small businesses and creating a supportive community. The program is run by student managers and they do everything from onboarding new student creators to running the social media accounts, organizing pop-ups and reaching out to businesses to partner with.

In addition to the entrepreneurial experiences and business opportunities, Student-Made serves as a host for an earnest community of ambitious and creative students.

Students, RAs say setting boundaries is vital to healthy roommate relationships

Alongside choosing a university and declaring a major, finding a roommate is one of the most important decisions an incoming student has to make when preparing for college. Because of the unique relationship living together brings, there are several factors students should consider when making this decision.

For many incoming students, dorm life is their first experience sharing a living space with another person. In such a new environment, having open communication is an important first step, Residence Education and Housing Services Associate Director for Communications Bethany Balks said.

Some students find themselves holding back on lifestyle qualities that they think potential roommates may disagree with, like waking up or going to sleep early and being highly concerned about cleaning, accounting sophomore and resident assistant Francisco Hernandez said. However, this ends up creating roommate conflict later on.

For social relations and policy sophomore Ashley Mathews, setting expectations was particularly difficult when she found herself moving in with a friend. Because she cared about keeping their established relationship intact, discussing disagreements about living habits became difficult, she said.

At Michigan State, all roommates and suitemates are expected to complete a roommate contract at the beginning of the semester with their RA in order to lay a foundation for expectations, Balks said. This contract can be referred to later on in the case of roommate conflict.

Many roommates go on to become lifelong friends, or have a relationship beyond living together, but getting to that point requires open and honest communication from the beginning, Hernandez said.

Based on original reporting by Kendra Gilchrist and Vivian Barrett.