The “Scrap” for Techno: An Interview with Carl Craig
Jovana Nagj, Co-host of Terminally Online • May 2, 2024

No. 4 Michigan State hockey falls to Ohio State, 6-2

MSU senior defender Nash Nienhuis (4) moves the puck against Michigan on Saturday, Feb. 11, 2024 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. (Avery Kotel)

EAST LANSING – After a bye week, No. 4 Michigan State hockey returned to action at home to face off against Ohio State at Munn Ice Arena. In a game that started well for the Spartans, the Buckeyes dominated the rest of the contest, winning 6-2 with great performances on offense and defense.

“Credit to Ohio State, I thought they were the hungrier hockey team,” said MSU head coach Adam Nightingale. “I thought we played the game a little entitled.”

Freshman forward Sam Deckhut led the way for the Buckeyes scoring his first two goals of his career in the win. Junior forward Cam Thiesing and fifth-year senior Scooter Brickey also contributed with one goal each in the second period. 

The Buckeyes’ defense was impressive all night, recording 26 blocks and killing three MSU power play opportunities. Junior goaltender Logan Terness shined in the win for Ohio State with 34 saves.

The Buckeyes sealed the win in the third period with unassisted goals by senior forward Michael Gildon and sophomore forward Davis Burnside.

“They’re [Ohio State] playing with a lot of confidence, they had a really good weekend last weekend, we scored early and it didn’t frazzle,” said Nightingale. “You’ve got to make it hard on teams and I didn’t think we did that tonight.” 

Freshman forward Gavin O’Connell reached 13 goals on the season with two goals in a losing effort, while freshman goaltender Trey Augustine recorded 27 saves.

“We play team hockey and I think all of us got away from that,” said O’Connell. “I think that’s what gave them [Ohio State] momentum and ultimately gave them the win tonight.

With the loss, the Spartans’ hopes of clinching the Big Ten regular season title and the  No. 1 seed in the Big Ten Tournament will hang in the balance against No. 6 Wisconsin next weekend. 

The Spartans will look to rebound on Saturday, Feb. 23  and split the series with the Buckeyes. Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.