Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Michigan State falls short on the road against No. 14 Indiana

Avery Kotel
MSU graduate guard Moira Joiner drives into the lane against Minnesota on Monday, Feb. 5, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Michigan State women’s basketball team had the No. 14 Indiana Hoosiers on the ropes on Thursday but couldn’t come away with the road victory. Despite having a double-digit lead in the second half, the Hoosiers edged the Spartans, 94-91.

Assembly Hall is one of the toughest atmospheres  for visiting teams in the country. The Hoosiers are undefeated at home with a perfect 12-0 record. 

The Spartans entered the matchup looking for their first win against a ranked opponent this season. 

“We just have to keep hammering and eventually we will get that breakthrough,” MSU head coach Robyn Fralick said.  

The Spartans’ offense was scorching hot in the first quarter, making nine of their first eleven shots. Co-captain Julia Ayrault started the game with 12 points in the first quarter.

Indiana was also successful on the offensive end making 10 of 14 field goals. The Spartans held a five point lead at the end of the first quarter. would take a five point lead after one quarter of play.

In the second quarter, MSU’s  defense held strong, holding the Hoosiers to 16 points, and extending their lead to ten points by halftime.

When it seemed like the lead was slipping in the third quarter for MSU, graduate student Tory Ozment came off the bench and hit back to back three-pointers to give the Spartans an eleven point lead.

The Spartans’ biggest challenge defensively was neutralizing Mackenzie Holmes, the second leading scorer in the Big Ten. Holmes ignited the Hoosiers comeback in the third quarter, scoring ten of her 28 points. 

The Spartans’ double-digit lead vanished in the third quarter as they were only up two going into the fourth. 

With six minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Hoosiers guard Sara Scalia made a three-pointer to give the Hoosiers their first lead since the first quarter. 

Mo Joiner struggled in the first three quarters of the game but did  her best to keep the Spartans in it, making all three of her attempted shots, scoring nine  points in the fourth quarter.

“You know good things are waiting for her and she plays the right way and she stays in it,” Fralick said.

However, Joiner and company couldn’t convert late in the game leading to a Hoosier victory.

The Spartans are back in action this Sunday, taking on No. 5 Ohio State at 4 p.m.