Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing with a high of 34 degrees and a low of 25 degrees. For the rest of the weekend, it looks like it will be low to mid-40s with partly cloudy skies.

MSU students experience overheating, cold temperatures in dorm rooms

From waiting in freezing temperatures for overcrowded buses to slipping on ice while walking to class, many Michigan State University students have been unable to find relief from the intense weather — even when they return to their dorm rooms.

For journalism sophomore Amelia Fraser, her room has seen intense heat for the last couple of weeks. And the problem goes beyond simply turning the heat off, as Fraser said heat still comes through even if the knob on the heater is turned to the closed position.

Her workaround for this issue has been opening the window in the dorm to let some cold air in. However, rather than completely removing the problem, Fraser said that the room eventually gets too cold, which has created a constant need to open and close the window.

Residence Education and Housing Services Associate Director for Communications Bethany Balks said REHS tries to do more education in the colder months to ensure students understand how to use the knob attached to the heating unit.

But heat hasn’t been the only problem in the dorms. With temperatures dropping to below freezing this winter, other students found their dorms were too cold.

Many users in the Michigan State Spartan Parents Group Facebook page, which has over 23,000 members, have also expressed concerns on behalf of their students all over campus.

Balks said that, to her knowledge, there is no sort of system issue in the dorms and reiterated that students should reach out to maintenance if they are experiencing issues with their heating.

MSU wrestling prepares to even conference record with road trip weekend

Coming off its first Big Ten Conference win against the Wisconsin Badgers on Jan. 26, the newly No. 25 ranked Michigan State wrestling team has begun preparations ahead of a weekend road trip. The team will begin by traveling to Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, for a meet and then heading to Indiana to face the Hoosiers on Sunday, Feb. 4.

In their last meet, the Spartans upset the University of Wisconsin by a score of 22-15, and Michigan State secured its first victory over a top-20 ranked opponent since the 2020-2021 season, as well as its first Big Ten victory this season.

The starting time for the University of Illinois meet today will be at 8 p.m. and the starting time for the meet against Indiana University will be at 1 p.m. Streaming for both duals will be available on Big Ten Plus.

Based on original reporting by Jack Williams and Archer Guanco.

Here is the MSU home Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Today

• Men’s Tennis will take on Ball State at 2 P.M. and Boise State at 6 P.M. both at the MSU Tennis Center.

Tomorrow

• Men’s Basketball will go up against Maryland at 5:30 P.M. at the Breslin Center.

Sunday

• Men’s Tennis will play Middle Tennessee at 12 P.M. and Bellarmine at 3 P.M.