No. 8 Michigan State hockey falls in final game of series to No. 9 Minnesota

Mia Nishanian
MSU sophomore forward Isaac Howard defends against Notre Dame on Friday, December 8, 2023 at Munn Ice Arena.

EAST LANSING – After a thrilling last-second 3-2 win on Friday night, the No. 8 Michigan State hockey team fell to No. 9 Minnesota 5-1 to split the weekend series. MSU trailed 3-0 to start and wasn’t able to make the same comeback that they did the previous night.

“I thought we had some looks there but, they [Minnesota] made it hard on us and were committed to defending and that’s what good teams do,” MSU head coach Adam Nightingale said.

Freshman forward Oliver Moore shined for the Golden Gophers, scoring two goals in the win, and reached six goals scored on the season. Graduate forward Bryce Brodzinski also contributed with a power play goal, while Aaron Huglen scored a goal early in the first period. The second goal by Moore early in the third period made it difficult for MSU to make a comeback

“We didn’t really start clean in the third, that 4th goal makes it a lot tougher to come back and after that, there wasn’t that much push either,” sophomore defenseman Matt Basgall said.   

Senior forward Mason Nevers sealed the game for Minnesota, scoring an empty-net goal with under three minutes remaining.

The Spartans lone goal came halfway through the second period as Matt Basgall scored his first goal as a Spartan.  Sophomore forwards Karsen Dorwart and Daniel Russell picked up the assists on the goal. The Gophers outshot the Spartans 36 to 25 in the game.

Despite the loss, the Spartans remain at the top of the Big Ten with 37 points and an 11-3-2 conference record, but remain the hunted in the Big Ten.

“We’re gonna get everyone’s best every night, that’s what you want,” Dorwart said. “We prepare the same every week, we know what we’re gonna get from other teams.”

The Spartans will next travel to South Bend, Indiana for a weekend series against No. 20 Notre Dame. Puck drop for next Friday is set for 7:30 p.m. at Compton Family Ice Arena.