Milestones and career-highs guide Michigan State past Purdue

Avery Kotel
MSU graduate guard Moira Joiner is helped up after being fouled by Purdue on Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING – Early in the first quarter, Michigan State’s leading scorer Mo Joiner made a transition three-pointer to eclipse 1,000 career points. She is the 30th player in program history to reach the 1,000 point club.

Michigan State head coach Robyn Fralick had kind words to say about Joiner after her performance.

“I feel grateful that I have gotten a year to coach her,” said Fralick. “She’s a kind that you’re just lucky to coach. She’s an everyday kid, she’s an every possession kid, she has all kinds of peaks and valleys but she keeps working. You don’t score 1,000 points by accident.” 

The Spartans scored 90-plus points for the tenth time this season as they defeated Purdue 97-70.

Graduate student Julia Ayrault took control early for the Spartans, leading the game with nine points in the first quarter. She helped the Spartans take a five point lead through the first ten minutes. Ayrault finished  the game with 18 points and 9 rebounds.

Michigan State’s defense held strong in the first half, forcing the Boilermakers into 12 turnovers  which led to 11 points. 

Fralick believed MSU’s defense sparked its offense. 

“It’s so interconnected, so when we are getting stops and forcing turnovers our offense is better,” said Fralick. 

MSU graduate guard Tory Ozment lays the ball up against Purdue on Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2023 at the Breslin Center. (Avery Kotel)

The bench provided a spark in the second half. Graduate student Tory Ozment was a perfect 4-of-4 from the field, scoring 15 points in the third quarter. She finished  with a career-high 23 points. In the fourth quarter, Theryn Hallock was 6-of-6 from the field, contributing 16 points in the fourth. Hallock also finished with a career-high 24 points.

MSU sophomore guard Theryn Hallock works through a double team from Purdue on Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2023 at the Breslin Center. (Avery Kotel)

Fralick was impressed with the duo of Hallock and Ozment that combined for 47 points off the bench.

“It’s such a great boost, it’s such a great spark for our team and we need that,” said Fralick

Michigan State also dominated the game around the rim,  scoring 54 points in the paint.

Michigan State will host in-state rival University of Michigan at the Breslin Center this Saturday at 12:00 p.m.