Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy and cold with possible developing snow showers in the evening with a high of 16 degrees and a low of 13 degrees.

MSU community honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at annual commemorative march

Despite below-zero temperatures, a celebration of civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the legacy he left behind was held in the IM East building on Monday morning.

The march was originally planned to be held at Beaumont Tower with participants marching to the construction site of the MSU Multicultural Center, but due to inclement weather, the decision to move the celebration to IM East was made by the MLK Student Commemorative Committee.

Dr. King’s famous 1963 “I Have A Dream” speech was read by eight-year-old Michaela Gladley, a second grader at Robert L. Green Elementary School in East Lansing, which is named after her great-great uncle, who was one of the first Black faculty members at MSU.

MSU Department of Psychology and Honors College Professor Lee June, who is the former vice president for student affairs and services and a member of the Lansing NAACP chapter, also spoke at the march. June said in his speech that during his time at MSU and as a participant in the Selma to Montgomery march of 1965, he, along with the students and community, has marched for different issues that have occurred over the last few years and decades.

Also in attendance were multiple student organizations and MSU Interim President Teresa Woodruff. She discussed how in living up to Dr. King’s legacy, people should be persistent and dedicated to the same work Dr. King devoted his life to.

Monday’s march was one of the many events taking place on campus this week to honor King.

Tonight, the MLK Cultural Showcase will be at this year’s Springticipation.

Alcohol to be sold at MSU Breslin Center, Munn Ice Arena starting January 2024

If you didn’t know, alcohol is now available at the Breslin Center and Munn Ice Arena, which started earlier this month.

Sales start one hour prior to the start of the game. For basketball games, sales close at the beginning of the second half, and for hockey games, sales close at the end of the second intermission.

The same regulations that were applied for alcohol sales at Spartan Stadium for football games are in place for alcohol sales at the Breslin Center and the Munn Ice Arena.

For a list of these regulations, you can visit the MSU Athletics website.

MSU Museum’s ‘Food Fight!’ exhibit brings unique meaning to dinner table discussion

The Michigan State University Museum was buzzing with people as it unveiled its newest exhibit, Food Fight!, last Thursday night.

The project started as an open call to creatives with one goal in mind: produce an interactive piece that inspires conversation about food production and security.

The exhibit hall was soon filled with a colorful turtle statue, a dinner table covered with mushrooms, video displays and a record made of cow’s blood playing the sound of a heartbeat. These were all a result of collaboration with makers worldwide, spanning from as far as Austria to as close as students here at MSU.

The exhibit uses the CoLaborator Program, a team made up of trained undergraduate and graduate students stationed around each exhibit to provide context and spur discussion.

Whether it be examining the use of GMOs or considering the amount of food waste before the market, deriving one’s own meaning from these pieces was an intentional part of Food Fight!

More information about the exhibit can be found on the MSU Museum’s website.

Based on original reporting by Demonte Thomas, Owen McCarthy and Liam Clymer.