Welcome back to The State for the spring 2024!

If you are new to The State or a returning listener welcome back! I’m your host Rachel Fulton and a little bit about me is that I am the Podcasts Director and a News Producer here at Impact 89FM. I’m super excited to be back this semester bringing you your daily news.

Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy with continued cold temperatures with a high of 8 and a low of -1. Make sure you bundle up this week because those temps will just continue going forward.

Starbucks in MSU Library opens after months of delay

The Starbucks in MSU’s Main Library opened its doors to the public last Monday morning. The much-awaited opening of the coffee shop comes months after the delay of its original opening date.

The Main Library’s location was set to open at the beginning of the fall semester, but due to much-needed construction, the opening date was pushed back to this spring semester. The location’s opening comes almost a year after it was revealed that the Wells Hall location would move to the Main Library.

According to MSU Eat At State’s Instagram, the main library’s location is currently unavailable to accept Combo-X-Change.

You can find more information including operating hours at the MSU Eat at State Instagram.

‘Healing at our pace’: MSU students protest reopening of Berkey Hall

Students gathered outside the Hannah Administration Building last Monday to protest the reopening of Berkey Hall, one of the sites of the February mass shooting that killed three and injured five at Michigan State University. Last Monday marked the first-day classes have been held in the building since the shooting, which occurred nearly one year ago.

Journalism sophomore Cassidy Howard, who organized the protest, had a class in Berkey that morning. She said if given the option, she would “drop it in an absolute heartbeat.”

Howard said she sees the reopening of Berkey as negligent of students still recovering from the trauma of the shooting. However, she said, providing online options for classes being held in the hall would be a good compromise so students aren’t forced to enter Berkey if they don’t want to.

The Associated Students of MSU, or ASMSU, have also pushed for hybrid and online options dating back to November.

That proposal, however, has been denied by the school.

According to the university, the decision to reopen Berkey Hall was spurred by a large majority of community members who said they wanted the building open.

Dave’s Hot Chicken spices up East Lansing’s dining landscape

Despite contending with Michigan’s unpredictable weather and the looming threat of a winter storm, the East Lansing community enthusiastically gathered to celebrate the grand opening of Dave’s Hot Chicken this past Friday. Located off Albert Street, the restaurant beckons with a tempting array of chicken-based meals, complemented by an assortment of sides and unique drinks.

The fast-casual restaurant chain originated in California and established its sixth Michigan location in East Lansing. Although the official grand-opening festivities took place on Friday, the restaurant quietly opened its doors earlier.

As the clock struck 11 a.m., signaling the restaurant’s official opening, the venue quickly filled with families, students, and community members, all eager to partake in the Nashville-style culinary experience.

The restaurant’s focus revolves around its signature chicken tenders, offering patrons the choice between sliders or tenders, the ability to select their preferred spice level, and the option to elevate their meal with the classic ‘Dave’s sauce’.

East Lansing’s Dave’s Hot Chicken becomes not just a restaurant but a destination–a hub for culinary exploration and community connection.

Based on original reporting by Demonte Thomas, Owen McCarthy and Gabrielle Yeary.