Latest news on MSU freshman guard Jeremy Fears Jr.

MSU freshman guard Jeremy Fears throws down a dunk against Alcorn State on Sunday, November 19, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

Michigan State freshman point guard Jeremy Fears Jr. was shot early Saturday morning near his hometown of Joliet, Illinois. According to a report from the Joliet Police Department, Fears was with some of his friends inside a house on the 300 block of St. Jude Avenue when an armed male entered the house through the front door, and shot him in his left thigh, and a 19-year old woman in the pelvis. The shooting occurred just before 4 a.m. 

The suspect fled the scene shortly after. Fears and the unnamed woman were transported to the Ascension St. Joseph Medical Center. Both were reported to be in stable condition. Fears subsequently underwent three-hour surgery on his left thigh. 

The Detroit News’ Madeline Kenney spoke with Fears’ father, Jeremy Fears Sr. on Saturday, who said he’s expected to be out for around two months. 

Fears Sr. also spoke with ABC 7 Chicago, and said the house was a normal gathering for his son and was the home of one of his teammates from high school. ABC 7 also reported that Fears’ family was told by doctors the recovery process will take up to six-to-eight weeks. 

MSU freshman guard Jeremy Fears sets the offense against Hillsdale on Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

Fears has played a pivotal role off the bench for the Spartans this season. In MSU’s most recent game against Stony Brook on Dec. 21, the freshman recorded a career-high 10 assists in a 99-55 victory. MSU head coach Tom Izzo has often praised Fears’ leadership and poise. He is second on the team in assists with 3.3 per game, while playing 15.5 minutes per contest.