Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

MSU football concludes disappointing 2023 season with 42-0 shutout loss to No. 11 Penn State

Penn State redshirt senior defensive tackle Dvon Ellies (91) and redshirt senior offensive lineman Caedan Wallace hoist the Land Grant Trophy after a 42-0 victory over MSU on Friday, November 24, 2023 at Ford Field.

DETROIT – The Michigan State football team closed out its 2023 season with a loss against No. 11 Penn State, falling 42-0 on Friday evening at Ford Field.  

It was another offensive struggle for the Spartans, as they were shutout for the second time this season. Michigan State’s first shutout loss was against Michigan on Oct. 21, losing 49-0. 

“I told the team that in life, things will happen. You guys will be able to look back on this season as an adverse situation,” MSU interim head coach Harlon Barnett said. “I told them to keep pushing, and when you keep pushing on the other end, there is something better.”

On Penn State’s first drive of the game, sophomore quarterback Drew Allar was sacked by graduate senior linebacker Aaron Brule, forcing a Nittany Lions field goal. 

Redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser got the start for the final time this season. His first drive got the MSU offense into Penn State territory, but his pass was intercepted on third-and-nine. 

The Nittany Lions kept their offense rolling, with a 50-yard run from running back Nicholas Singleton. 

Despite a slow start on offense and settling for two field goals in the first three drives, Penn State found its groove, recording five touchdowns and generating 568 yards of total offense. 

On the ground, PSU recorded 283 yards. Kaytron Allen led the team with 15 carries for 137 yards, along with Nicholas Singleton right behind him, with 18 carries for 118 yards. 

Like most of its games this season, the Michigan State offense couldn’t generate any positive momentum, with a total yardage of 68, along with -20 rushing yards, a season low. 

Drew Allar, who has had his share of struggles this season, had one of his best games of the season, throwing for 292 yards and two touchdown passes. 

Penn State redshirt freshman Beau Primula celebrates after rushing for a touchdown against MSU on Friday, November 24, 2023 at Ford Field. (Jack Moreland)

Michigan State finishes the 2023 season with a 4-8 record, its worst finish since 2016, where the football program went 3-9 after winning the Big Ten and making its first ever College Football Playoff appearance in 2015. The last time MSU went 4-8 was 2006. 

“I think a lot of guys have to make a lot of decisions for themselves and put themselves in the best situation possible,” redshirt sophomore running back Nathan Carter said. “We do have guys that will play. We hope that we can continue to grow on that and also bring people in to help us be a better team.”

Now that the season is concluded, the university will continue its search for the next head coach of Michigan State football. It will be the 26th coach in MSU history.