No.11 Michigan State loses in shootout to No. 17 Penn State

Avery Kotel
MSU sophomore forward Daniel Russell (20) celebrates after scoring off an assist by sophomore forward Isaac Howard (22) against Penn State on Friday, November 10, 2023 at Munn Ice Arena.

EAST LANSING – The No. 11 ranked Michigan State Spartans were back at Munn Ice Arena Friday night as they took on No. 17 Penn State for their first conference series at home this season. The game ended in a 3-3 tie, but Penn State prevailed in the shootout, earning an extra point.

The night was highlighted by the ‘Spartan Full Strength’ Initiative as the hockey team does its part to raise awareness to honor those who have been affected by cancer as fans hold up “I Honor” signs to support their individual friends and family members.

The Spartans were looking to continue their hot streak as they swept Ohio State last weekend, marking the first road sweep for MSU since 2016. 

The game started slow for both teams, but Michigan State brought the physicality early, including big hits from several players. The Spartans found themselves on the penalty kill first as sophomore forward Daniel Russell was sent to the box for hooking nearly six minutes into the first period. However, that didn’t stop the Spartans as freshman defenseman Patrick Geary netted the first goal of the game, and his first goal at Munn, nearly one minute into the Penn State power play. 

“In front of these fans, it’s huge to get one,” Geary said. “It was fun to get it and the crowd was loud.”

Sophomore forward Daniel Russell was able to score his sixth goal of the season in the second period as Isaac Howard was able to pick the pocket of Penn State goalie Noah Grannan, setting up Russell for the 2-0 lead in the second. Isaac Howard added to MSU’s lead as he scored his fourth goal of the season to put the Spartans up 3-0 in the second period.

Both teams saw some 4v4 action as MSU’s Tanner Kelly and Penn State’s Carson Dyck were sent to the sin bin for roughing. 

Penn State was able to gain some momentum towards the end of the second period as senior forward Tyler Paquette put the Nittany Lions on the board making it 3-1 at second intermission.

MSU saw its lead crumble in front of them, as senior forward Xander Lamppa netted his second goal of the season seven minutes into the third period. Penn State also saw its point leader, Danny Dzhaniyev leave the game due to injury. With two and a half minutes to go in the third period, freshman forward Matt DiMarsico netted the equalizer, sending the game into overtime. 

Both teams saw multiple scoring opportunities in overtime, but nobody was able to capitalize, forcing the game to a shootout and the game going as a tie.

Michigan State fell to Penn State in the shootout 2-1 as Isaac Howard scored the lone goal for the Spartans, officially losing a 3-0 lead.

“Obviously a tough game for us, we learned a tough lesson playing in a good conference,” said MSU head coach Adam Nightingale. “We had a lead there and obviously gave it up and those are tough moments but an opportunity for growth.”

The Spartans are back at it Saturday afternoon for the series finale against Penn State. Puck drop is scheduled for 4 pm E.T.